꧁𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷꧂

"Hey mama" I whisper trying to hold my tears back. "It's been a year and I miss you. More than you know"

"I brought you some lilies since they're your favorite. We've always thought roses were the most cliche thing ever" I laugh a little and wipe my nose on the cuff of my hoodie.

"Mason turned one yesterday. He's already took his first steps and his first word was Aus which is apparently my name now and dad's a little jealous about it" I put the lilies in the little cement cup that's in between my mom and dads tombstones. "Dad misses you as well but he's so busy that he can't really come and visit. He's been deployed so many times. None have been longer than two months so I guess that's good" I have to wipe my nose again since the cold is starting to get to me. My cheeks were rosy and cold from the freezing, early January, weather.

I can't hold the tears back anymore and they slowly make their way down my face. I wipe my eyes and nose quickly and adjust the black beanie that sat on top of my brown hair.

"You've always told me to be strong... but I never knew that I would have to be the strongest when you left" a sob escaped my lips as I crouched down on the snow that surrounded my feet. "They say to give it time but time changes nothing. I still miss the sound of your voice, the stories you told, the ring of your laugh, all the songs you would sing to me, and your presence that glowed. Time changes absolutely nothing because I miss you just as much now as I did a year ago when you left" Another sob escaped my lips and I put my head in my hands. I run my hands down my face and look at the tree that was right behind the stone that held my mother and father's names.

I have no idea how long I was sitting in front of the tombstone, sulking, until a sniffle caught my attention breaking me from my thoughts. I look around me and notice a boy sitting in front of a tombstone to my right.

He had a bouquet of flowers in his right hand, all in the color of purple. The flowers ranged from roses, lilies, and even some tulips. He was wearing black ripped jeans and a black hoodie along with white Nikes and a yellow beanie on his head.

I slowly stood up, making noise as the snow crunched beneath my weight. The boy snaps his head in my direction and sends a soft smile my way. Anyone could tell that he's been crying just as much as I have since his eyes are bloodshot and his cheeks are puffy.

"I'm sorry I didn't know anyone else was here" he spoke softly wiping under his eyes slightly.

"It's alright I was just leaving" I turn and start to walk away until I notice that only my car was in the parking lot. I turn back around and walk over to him and stand beside his crouched figure.

"Did you get a ride here?" I ask softly. He nods his head looking up at me.

"I uh, I called an Uber"

"Do you need a ride back? I can drive you back home or wherever you need to go" I crouch down next to him and subtly read the tombstone that read Keri and Jeffery Seavey.

"No. I wouldn't want to be a burden-"

"You wouldn't. I would like to know that I helped someone today instead of just sulking around" I laugh slightly. He just nods his head and stayed where he was. I stood back up and stuck my hands out for him to grab. He pulled himself up with some help from me and we started walking towards my car.

"I'm Austyn by the way" I whisper looking over at him.

"Daniel" He had these captivating blue eyes that I could stare at for hours and never get tired of them. His voice was full of sadness but also something else I can't necessarily detect.

"Well, Daniel, I don't know about you but I could go for some coffee right about now. Would you like to get some as well before I take you back to your house?" I ask with my voice full of hope.