꧁𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟷꧂

A week has passed and today was the day that everyone was dreading.

The funeral.

When we left the hospital from visiting Uncle Josh last week he said that we was sorry but I told him that it was okay because he couldn't have controlled if dad came home or not.

I made the man make a promise he couldn't keep.

Dad's body was found and shipped back over to America and I was able to get all of his belongings back yesterday. I wasn't allowed to see him but I got all of his jewelry, clothes, and keepsakes he took with him.

Why did I let dad leave?

Why did he have to leave his family?

Why did he have to fight for a country that will never even know his name?

Why did he have to leave me and Mason alone?

My thoughts were interrupted by a soft knock on the door. I look at my reflection in the bathroom mirror and see small tear streaks going down my face. I mentally cursed myself and wiped them away.

It never even looked like a tear was shed.

That's how it should be.

There was another knock on the door but this one a little louder than the last.

"Yeah?" I ask putting my makeup in the cabinet.

I had to put make up on since I had bags under my eyes from lack of sleep and I had to get rid of any sign that would give away that I'm weak.

Weak isn't an option.

The bathroom door opened to show Daniel and Mason. Both were dressed up in black dress pants and nice black button up shirts.

Daniel walks over to me and kisses the side of my head while transferring Mason into my arms.

"You look gorgeous baby" he says rubbing his thumb under my eye.

Daniel hasn't left my side this entire week. He's slept at my house and wouldn't leave unless I was with him. I felt like a puppy without a home, wherever he went I followed.

I walked out of my bathroom and put Mason down on my bed so I could get my black corkscrew wedges onto my feet. I was wearing that black dress that Daniel bought me on my birthday. It has a halter top neckline with the silver bands on the bottom of the top and the waistband of the skirt. It also had pockets that I shoved my phone and keys into.

"We need to start leaving love" Daniel whispers walking up to me. I strap the last shoe and pick up Mason's bag along with the little boy himself.

As I walk down the stairs my curly hair bounced and got into my face and I would constantly push them back behind my ear.

Dad always liked my hair curly.

All of the murmur that once was happening ceased as everyone's eyes landed on me.

All of the boys and girls were at my house for some strange reason. I mean yes they're all going to the funeral but they didn't have to come here. Zach and Jack both walk up to me and wrap me into their arms.

I haven't seen them the past week.

Everyone wants me to cry, to speak, to do something that a grieving girl would do but I can't. My body is fighting a battle between staying strong or showing everyone how vulnerable I am and I'm winning.

As they hug me my arms find their way around both of their waists and I pull myself closer to them.

The vulnerability just took a swing at strong making it tumble back but it stayed upright.