꧁𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟶꧂

"Ma'am we regret to inform you that Sargent Major Dallas Scott has died during patrol on April first twenty-nineteen" the older man says handing me an envelope. I let go of Daniel's hand and grab the envelope from the mans black gloved hand. I just nod at the two men and say a quiet thank you as I walk into the house.

"Baby?" Daniel asks following me up the stairs.

"Yeah?" I ask softly over my shoulder as I walk into the nursery. I take Mason's shoes off of him and take his jacket off before laying the sleepy little boy down in his crib for a nap.

I walk back out of the room and shut the door behind me. My eyes meet Daniel's worried ones. He's looking at me like I'm a dog that just got wounded. Since he didn't answer my question I just walked past him and went into my room. I took off my shoes and jacket and put them away in their designated areas before going downstairs.

Daniel was following me the entire time I was upstairs and now he's following me downstairs.

"Why are you following me Dani?" I ask looking at him. I had my hoodie sleeves up to my elbows and my hands were covered in soap suds and water as I cleaned the dishes that were in the sink.

"I'm scared to leave you alone" he whispers softly walking closer to me with his arms crossed.

"Why? I'm fine"

"You just got news that your dad died you're not fine" he says trying to look at my eyes. I won't let him. If I let him look at me I'll break. I'll break and I can't be broken. I have to be there for Mason. He's one and has lost both of his parents.

"Look at me" I put the last dish on the drying rack and dry my hands. The blue eyed boy takes my face in his hands and forces me to look at him. "Look at me baby"

Once my eyes meet his you can visibly see a part of Daniel break. He tried to pull me into a hug but I just duck underneath his arm and I go to the couch. More specifically my dad's spot on the couch.

My phone started going off so I decided to get on it to try and distract myself from the urge to cry.

~~~~~
Bruther😎
Austyn we just got
news about my dad

He's in the hospital

Sister💋
Is he okay

Bruther😎
We think so

We're headed there
right now so I'll keep
you updated

Sister💋
Please do

Be careful Zachy

Bruther😎
I will

Love you

Sister💋
Love you

~~~~~

"Uncle Josh is in the hospital" I whisper to Daniel who's still looking at me. "Will you please stop staring at me like that? Please?" I ask softly. I go back onto my phone and scroll through tik tok to get my mind off of everything.

I feel the couch dip next to me and and arm wraps around my waist pulling me into their lap. Daniel places his arm around my neck and rested his hand on my thigh while his other hand connects with his arm. He rests his head on my shoulder and his forehead touches the side of my head.

"I'm sorry" he whispers.

"For?" I ask turning my head to the side.

"That you have to go through this too" his eyes catch mine and I kiss the top of his nose before looking down at my phone again.