꧁𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸꧂

"Sweetheart, hey wake up" I open my eyes due to the sound of my dad's voice and him shaking me slightly.

"Hey, baby I'm leaving" I roll over and face him, seeing him dressed in his camouflage uniform and boots. I look towards the alarm clock that read 4:00 am and sat up. I move the duvet off of my body and stand up stretching and hugging my dad.

"Where's Mason?" I ask into his neck. I don't want to let him go. Not yet. I never want him to leave but he always has to. I feel his hands rub my back as I hug onto him tighter. He knows how much it hurts me to see him leave and he knows how hard I try to stay strong for this whole family.

"In my room. Why don't you go sleep in there with him?" He asks. I nod my head slightly and squeeze the man in my arms tighter before letting go completely and following him out of my room.

We walk down the stairs and towards the front door where I see my godfather standing with his hands together behind his back. He too was dressed in his camouflage uniform with his boots and backpack. Zach was there as well since he stays with me for a while after our dad's leave.

"Hey, uncle Josh" I whisper walking over towards the tall man and his son.

"Hey squirt" he smiles and laughs taking me into his arms. One of his hands cradles the back of my head while his other wraps around my shoulders. He places a kiss on the top of my head as he let go of the hug. I turn back to my dad and see him with his backpack on and his suitcase packed.

"How long?" I ask shoving my hands into my pockets.

"Two maybe three months," my dad says back.

"Please be safe. Please" I beg watching him adjust a strap on his bag as he walks towards me.

"I'll come back, sweetie. Watch your brother, don't do anything stupid, and don't worry about me too much. Alright? I'm thirty-six it's my job to worry about you not the other way around" he says laughing a little towards the end.

"Okay okay. I'll try not to"

"Alright, we love you both. Don't burn my house down and we'll be back before you even realize we're gone" dad says following uncle Josh towards the front door.

"Love y'all too" Zach and I said at the same time. The brunette boy wraps his arms around my shoulders from behind me as we stand at the front door. We watch as uncle Josh pulls out of the driveway and onto the snow-covered streets.

"Let's go to bed" Zach mumbles pulling me back inside. I nod my head while biting my lip and walk towards my dad's room with the boy on my heels.

I open the door and see Mason's sleeping figure on the left side. As I walk around and crawl in the bed he starts moving and sits up rubbing his eyes.

"Ausy?" He mumbles sleepily.

"Hey buddy" I pull the little boy into my arms and move over a bit so Zach can get in as well. We both lay down and I have my knees propped up and Mason sitting on my stomach leaning against my legs.

"Dada?" He asks.

"Daddy had to go to work buddy. Go back to sleep okay? Zach and I are right here" the little boy nods and lays down on my chest slowly going back to sleep. I can't sleep so I just stare at the ceiling while rubbing Mason's back. I feel the bed shift and look over at Zach to see him looking back at me.

"They'll be okay Austyn. They always are"

"I know I just... I can't lose him too" I whisper. Tears start to brim the corners of my eyes and Zach moves closer, pulling my head to his chest.