Prologue: A Most Unusual Gift

*….* = parseltongue

Italics = thoughts

Harry Potter and the Amulet of Time

PART 1 – THE HOGWARTS YEARS

Book 1 – The Age of the Founders

"Wormtail!"

"Yes, Master?"

"Call my Death Eaters. I have a new plan to capture Potter."

"Yes, Master."

Peter Pettigrew touched the Dark Mark on his arm, wincing when a sharp pain shot through it. For the next five minutes over 30 Death Eaters Apparated into Voldemort's lair to hear their Master's orders.

"How may we serve you, Master?" asked the nearest Death Eater.

"You can listen carefully! I have a new plan for capturing Potter. Now, I ask you, where is Potter the safest?"

Voldemort pointed his wand at a random Death Eater and waited for a response.

"Hogwarts, my Lord", came the hesitant answer.

"Hogwarts, yes, very good Goyle. Where else is he safe? You!"

"His home, the one he goes to in the summer?"

"Very good Lucius. Now where, then, is he not safe?"

No one moved. The Death Eaters all stood staring at their Master with blank looking faces. They weren't quite sure what he was getting at. Voldemort, meanwhile, was getting quite impatient. He was used to receiving an immediate answer.

"Fools! Crucio!"

The nearest Death Eater fell to the ground, writhing in agony. The others looked uneasy, but were thankful they had not been chosen for punishment.

"Why do I have such idiots for minions? He is safe at Hogwarts, he is safe at home, and the Hogwarts Express is too well guarded. The only other place Potter needs to go is Diagon Alley for his school supplies. I want two of you posted in Diagon Alley every day until September 1st. He has to go there sometime. He'll need money, so I want one of you posted outside Diagon Alley in the Leaky Cauldron and one of you outside Gringotts at ALL TIMES! When you see Potter I want him captured. DO NOT LET HIM SLIP AWAY. Do you understand?"

A murmur of assent went through the crowd. The plan was simple, yet fool proof. Voldemort looked intently at the Death Eater he had tortured before.

"And if you fail me, I will be forced to punish you. Avada Kedavra."

AoT*AoT*AoT*AoT*AoT*AoT*AoT*AoT

Harry sat up in bed clutching the scar on his head in a vain attempt to lessen the pain burning through it. After a minute or two he got unsteadily to his feet and made his way to the small mirror hanging above his desk. The scar looked the same as always, if a little red. As the pain began to subside, Harry sat down on his bed to think about what he had just seen. Sirius had told him last year to write to Dumbledore if his scar ever hurt, but Harry was reluctant. The old Headmaster had a lot to do these holidays in preparation for the inevitable attacks by Voldemort. Harry was sure Dumbledore didn't need him to send an owl every time he had a dream, but something about this dream nagged at him. Voldemort was planning to capture him in Diagon Alley.