Chapter 21: Fantastic Beasts and What NOT To Do To Them

Harry awoke in the hospital wing with a pounding headache. As soon as he opened his eyes he had to close them against the fierce light shining through the windows. He could feel a potion being pressed to his lips but was too weak to protest. As he swallowed, he could feel his headache begin to dissipate and felt as if he could try opening his eyes again. This time he could see several figures sitting around his bed. All of his friends were there, as well as Lolide, who was standing at the end of his bed, muttering various incantations. Once his vision cleared, he could see the room in more detail. Correcting his vision had been one of the first pieces of wandless magic he had learned from Rowena, and it was times like this that he was glad he no longer needed to wear glasses. Looking at his friends more closely, he was shocked to see tears falling from the girls' eyes. Ron and Ardwick didn't look much better. Although they hadn't been crying, they were obviously upset. Harry thought this seemed a bit odd, considering it was only a small quidditch accident. You'd think I'd died or something. I could only have been out half an hour, he thought. Deciding to find out what was going on he spoke up.

" Hi guys, why the long faces?"

This was apparently the wrong thing to say, as Gallatea gave a loud sob and launched herself at him. This was a mistake, for as soon as her arms wrapped around Harry's waist he could feel a sharp pain lancing down his back. Letting out a loud yell, Gallatea sprang back from him, a horrified look on her face.

" I'm so sorry, Harry, I should have known better."

" It's alright, 'Tea. What's going on? Why do you all look so upset? I can't have been out that long…"

" Harry, you were out ten days, mate," exclaimed and incredulous Ron.

" TEN DAYS?! How…? Why…? What…?"

" You broke your back in the fall," Ginny explained, " Lolide was able to fix it, but it was touch and go for a while. We weren't sure you were going to make it."

It took a minute for this new piece of information to sink in.

" I broke my back?"

" Yes."

" And nearly died?"

" Yes."

" Oh, sweet Merlin. The fall didn't seem that high, and the bludger didn't do that much damage…"

" I'm afraid it did, Harry. And that stunt you pulled with me where I fell of my broom was dangerous too. You could have killed me!"

" I'm sorry, Ard. It was a Wronski Feint, and I didn't mean to hurt you, just keep you away from the snitch."

" S'k, I forgive you. Will you teach me the Wonkey Faint?"

Ron and Harry looked at each other, thinking about Hermione at the Quidditch World Cup, and burst out laughing.

Later that night Harry awoke to noises coming from the far end of the infirmary. Sitting up, he quietly got out of bed and made his way over to the curtain around his bed. Pulling it back a little, he got himself comfortable for a little eavesdropping. He knew it was dishonest, but he suffered from an abundance of over curiosity. After only a moment he realised who it was he was listening to. Lolide and Gryffindor. They were speaking in hushed tones, in rapid fire elvish. Harry could pick out the gist of what was being said, thanks to his lessons with the elven healer. However, some of what they were discussing was lost on him. The words that he did understand, though, pieced together some of what Slytherin had mentioned in the Chamber of Secrets.

" …come…often, Godric. You…your heart…take the strain. I can…this time, but…do less…time."

" Lolide, …do...you can. Your medicine…thing…stopping my…"