Chapter 23: Dark Discussions

Christmas morning found all seven friends, as well as Lady Ravenclaw, gathered in the Gryffindor Room. The four time travellers had set up a Christmas tree a few days earlier, showing the Anglo-Saxons one of their traditions. Christabel in particular loved the tradition, and vowed to continue it in her family. Lady Ravenclaw had provided the mistletoe, which she hung in the doorway to catch the students as they came in. Harry and Gallatea, Ginny and Ardwick, and Ron and Hermione had all been caught, but luckily for Christabel she arrived late, and so was spared. Not that Harry and his girlfriend had minded too much, but when they started to get carried away, Gallatea's mother had given her a disapproving look.

The group sat around the Christmas tree with cups of tea in their hands, talking about what they usually did at Christmas. The Weasleys were telling them how their family celebrated, and what they did when they stayed at Hogwarts. Hermione told every one of the Muggle traditions, and how over the top they went. They all agreed that Christmas for Muggles was too commercialised. When it came to Harry's turn, he told them what it had been like when he was younger, not receiving any presents and being banned from touching the tree. One year he had even been locked in his cupboard during the Christmas dinner for 'being too noisy'. Gallatea gave him a hug, and he told her how much better Christmas had been for him since starting at Hogwarts.

The group spent the rest of the morning telling funny stories about their families and previous Christmases. They didn't have any presents, as that was a more modern idea. Despite the Christmas tree, the four time travellers had decided they wanted to experience traditional Anglo-Saxon celebrations. Ginny thought it would be a good section to include in her book.

About half an hour before the Christmas dinner, which they were to eat in the Great Hall with the rest of the students, the boys went off to one corner to discuss their planned prank. Harry had won the prank war by a long way, with his stunt at dinner. The way he had planned the day, especially by lulling the students into a false sense of security, clearly showed his Slytherin side. It was this cleverness, as well as the quality of his pranks, that had won it for him. He had something similar planned for that day, and he just wanted to go over the last minute plans with the other Marauders.

Dinner was a magnificent affair. The students had arrived at the Great Hall to find it decorated with icicles hanging everywhere, and snow falling from the ceiling. To make the meal less uncomfortable, the snow disappeared as soon as it hit a surface. Tiny ice faeries were fluttering about the Hall, greeting the students and playing with the snow. The tables had vases of snow drops in the middle, and decorative wreaths were hanging around the walls and from the doors.

Before the food appeared, Gryffindor stood up to give a few notices.

" Now, I know you are all hungry, so I will be brief. Firstly, I would like to wish you all a very merry Christmas. To celebrate, we will be having a Yule ball tomorrow evening. It will be a costume party, so I want you all to come up with something creative to wear. If possible you should dress to match your partner, as there will be a competition for the best costumes. In order for you to acquire your costumes, you will be permitted to visit the town of Hogsmeade tomorrow. However, you must be back in time for the ball, which will start at seven o'clock. My second announcement is concerning an event that occurred last week in the fifth year Care of Magical Creatures lesson. We have discussed these events, and have decided to award Harry Potter an award for special services to the school. What he did was very heroic, and he showed true Gryffindor courage. I am very proud of him, as is Lady Ravenclaw. I would like to thank him now on behalf of all of the staff for saving young Miss Ravenclaw's life."

Harry smiled embarrassedly as everyone, bar Horatio and some of the Slytherins started to clap. He bent his head to hide the blush in his cheeks. He had just done it to save his friend, and would have done it for anybody. He didn't like all of the attention. Eventually, the noise died down and Gryffindor continued with his speech.