Chapter 5: The Hogwarts Four

Harry was the first to return to consciousness. He slowly opened his eyes, but closed them quickly when a bright light hit them. He waited a few seconds before trying again, this time keeping them slitted until he got used to the light. He determined the offending brightness was coming from a large ceiling-high window to his right. Looking around the room cautiously he discovered he was lying on a dark red couch. The other three were on similar couches spread around the room.

The room itself was large and round, with several high windows and wall upon wall of dusty bookshelves. The floor was bare stone, but the ceiling looked like the roof of the Great Hall. The only difference was that this didn't reflect the weather outside, but rather the night sky. Thousands of stars twinkled above his head as he gently turned to look at the rest of the room. He could see Ginny stirring on the other side of the room and knew she would soon be looking around as well. In the center of the room stood an ancient looking oak desk, the wood polished to a shine and the sides decorated with majestic lions, with the legs of the desk carved into elegant paws. Parchment and books covered the top and the sparkling hilt of a sword could be seen peeking out of the side. It was a gold colour with rubies set in it. In the corner, by the fire, a tall perch stood with a beautiful red and gold bird atop it.

Harry suddenly realised why the room seemed so familiar. It was Professor Dumbledore's office. Only, it wasn't. There were slight differences, such as the array of weapons hanging in a cabinet by one of the windows and the enchanted ceiling above him. As Harry turned his head back to look at the phoenix, he noticed four people standing off to one side, worried looks on their faces. They were speaking to each other in a strange language that he didn't understand. It was only then that he remembered where he was.

Founders, amulet, time travel, he thought as he laid his head back into the couch cushion. No wonder I can't understand them, the spell must have worn off. Rooting around in his pocket, he pulled out his wand and whispered the translation spell. He looked across the room to see Ginny doing the same thing. They glanced at each other and Harry got up to join her on her couch.

The movement caught the attention of the four founders and they moved over to sit opposite the teenagers. Gryffindor was the first one to break the silence.

"Hopefully you are feeling better now. Would you like to explain in what way you need help, or would you rather wait for your companions to awaken?"

"I think we'll wait," Harry replied, "They seem to be waking up now anyway."

Sure enough, Ron and Hermione were staring at the scene before them in awe. Ron couldn't take his eyes off Godric Gryffindor. Hermione was quickly looking around the room and assessing the situation they had found themselves in. After a wave of her wand, she was the first to speak.

"What's going on? The last thing I remember is the Entrance Hall."

"We brought you here, little one," Helga Hufflepuff told her, "You fainted for some reason and so we thought it best to bring you to Godric's office, where you could be more comfortable."

The four nodded their heads to the adults in thanks. They were all frantically trying to think what they had done wrong with the amulet. Harry was starting to feel guilty, he just knew that somehow this was all his fault. If only I'd read the book more thoroughly, or at least attempted to learn Latin over the last four years. With all our spells being in Latin, and the amount of trouble I get in, it might be a useful skill. He was pulled from his thoughts by the tall, grumpy looking man clearing his throat. Slytherin, of course, he thought with a giggle. The man shot him an annoyed glare.

"As much fun as staring at each other is, I suggest we try to remedy the problem so you can be on your way."

Sounds like Snape, Harry thought.