Chapter 29: Once More Into The Breach

The morning after Harry's birthday was never mentioned again. The group carried on as normal for the next few weeks. They were spending a lot of time together, especially Harry and Gallatea, as they knew they would soon be separated. Harry still went for lessons with Lolide, although by August 17th she had finished all she could teach him. She went on a trip to the elven world, bringing back some books for him to take with him to read. Harry was grateful for the extra time the lack of lessons gave him, as it meant he had more time to spend with Gallatea. He was still teaching her English, and had promised to leave her some of his books so she could continue to practice after he had left.

A week after Harry's birthday, the four time travellers were called to Lady Ravenclaw's office. They knew they couldn't be in trouble, as they hadn't done anything, but were still relieved when she smiled at them when they met her.

" Come in you four, I would like to discuss something with you."

Once the four were seated comfortably she continued.

" I have been giving it some thought, and I would like you to take the NEWT exams."

Instant pandemonium followed. Ron was protesting about not knowing anything, Hermione was claiming she didn't have time to revise, and Ginny couldn't see the point. Eventually, Rowena held her hand up to silence them.

" I know you were not expecting this, but I believe you can pass them without any difficulties. You have all the knowledge of the founders; you should be able to pass seventh year exams. As for why, well, think about it. This will be the only opportunity for you to gain qualifications in ancient magic. When you go home, you will have written proof of your skills. I know when you go home you will have to do your fifth year again, as you have missed a year's worth of your magic, but you may as well do this while you still can."

The four students mulled it over for a few minutes before reluctantly agreeing. Ron wasn't too happy about it, but Hermione soon talked him around. The next week was filled with exam after exam. They were only taking NEWTs in the regular subjects, but with the written exams and the practicals, it was very time consuming.

Two weeks before the start of the new term, Harry and Ron were called up to Gryffindor's office during breakfast. Looking at each other in confusion, they made their way out of the Great Hall. On the way, Ron turned to Harry to see if he knew what was going on.

" Harry? Do you know what this is about?"

" I haven't a clue, Ron. It can't be the OWL and NEWT results, because they don't come out for another week, and if it was, we wouldn't be the only ones called. It can't be pranks either, because we haven't pulled any in weeks."

By this time the pair had reached the office. Knocking tentatively on the door, they went in when they heard Gryffindor's response from the other side. They were a little surprised to see the Minister for Magic sat in front of the founder's desk. Standing up, he went over to greet the new arrivals.

" Ah, Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley, so nice to see you again."

" Hello Minister, what can we do for you?"

" Well, Mr. Potter, I've just come to update you on the quidditch situation. I have opened your Gringotts account, as requested, and all funds will be placed therein. Here are your keys," he said, handing them each a small golden key, " and here are your personalised copies of the quidditch rule book. I took the liberty of collecting them from Flourish and Blott's for you, as I was coming here already."

The two boys looked at the books they had been handed in awe. Ron took Fred and George's copy, and Harry took Gallatea's. They both thanked the Minister and left him to speak to Gryffindor.