Soft emotions

You left Sakusa's side once you made sure he's completely asleep. You decided to make some congee for him to eat when he gets up. Your mom would make this for you whenever you got sick as a young child.

Thankfully you had all the ingredients you need at your place. Two hours later, the congee is complete.

Pouring a small portion into a bowl, you grab plastic wrap to cover it. You don't know when Sakusa will wake up so you have to keep the congee warm by his nightstand.

You quietly walk back to his bedroom. He's still asleep when you place the bowl of congee and a spoon down. You swap out the towel on his forehead with a fresh one. Placing the older one to the side.

A yawn escapes from your lips and you feel exhaustion tug at you. The headache from this morning still lingers. You close your eyes to rest for a moment. But hearing Sakusa's soft sleeping breathing pulls you into a deep sleep. You lean forward to rest on the edge of the bed beside Sakusa.

🏐・゚゚・。.

The sun looms high in the sky causing the rays to shine directly towards Sakusa's face. His brows furrow together and he raises his arm over his eyes. Slowly fluttering his eyes open, he stiffens when he sees the top of Y/L/N's head right beside him. He relaxes when he remembers the current situation. Y/L/N insisted to stay by his side while he had a fever earlier today. He eyes his room and notices a bowl sitting on his nightstand.

Raising a finger to the bowl, the temperature is still warm. That must mean Y/L/N didn't sleep for long. A smile tugs his lips from her kindness.

He lowers his eyes to the top of her head. An urge to stroke her hair pulls at him. He's once again surprised by his thoughts. It's unlike him to have these urges.

Sakusa presses his lips together in a fine line. He hesitantly lifts one hand towards her head, hovering. The rapidness of his heart is very clear. He bites his inner cheek, gently resting his hand on her head. His fingers begin to tremble when he slowly runs them through her silky hair. A soft gasp leaves his lips when he tries to contain his nervousness. She moves slightly from his touch which causes him to freeze up.

"Sakusa?" Y/L/N murmurs his name tiredly. Her eyes flutter open slowly and she tilts her head up to look at him.

You notice the shy expression on Sakusa's face when you tiredly look at him. You feel a weight on your head and see Sakusa's outstretched arm.

The gentle motion you felt earlier, was it Sakusa stroking your head?

The heat creeps up onto your face and you freeze in place. Sakusa slowly pulls his hand back to his side. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

Shaking your head, you sit up with a small smile. "How do you feel?"

Sakusa slowly sits up, taking the towel off of his forehead. "Much better now." You feel relief from hearing his response. "I made you some congee incase you woke up hungry." You turn to the left to grab the bowl from the nightstand. Taking the plastic film off, you pick up the spoon and place it into the bowl.

The smell wafts over to Sakusa's nose. He didn't know how hungry he was until he smelled the congee. He anticipated Y/L/N to hand him the bowl but he's surprised when she raises a spoon towards his lips.

"Sorry if it's not the best congee you've ever eaten. I hope it's somewhat to your taste." You speak softly, unsure how Sakusa will react when he eats the congee.

He quietly sips the congee from the spoon. The corner of his lips curl into a small smile. "It tastes good Y/L/N."

You breath a sigh of relief when you hear his comment. "I could also feed myself. Thank you for making this." You hand the bowl and spoon to Sakusa, nodding your head. The conversation falls short while Sakusa quietly eats the congee. You are curious to ask Sakusa if he was stroking your hair, but you aren't sure if it's something you should ask.

Sakusa notices Y/L/N's troubled expression and points it out. "Something wrong?" He lowers his spoon to give her all of his attention.

You flick your eyes over to Sakusa, nibbling your bottom lip. "Were you stroking my hair earlier Sakusa?" You hesitantly ask him the question and his eyes widen briefly. Casting his black eyes to the side, his cheeks turn a rosy red. "Sorry, I shouldn't have done that while you were asleep." He murmurs under his breath. You're quick to shake your head.

"N-No! There's nothing for you to be sorry for." Your voice is much louder than you anticipated. He flinches from your raised voice. Feeling embarrassed you force your eyes down to your lap. Clasping your hands together, you squeeze them. "I...didn't hate it." You squeak out. Sakusa relaxes his shoulders when he hears you speak. "Can you do it again?" You're too embarrassed to look at him directly after asking the question.

Sakusa's eyes wavers when he looks at Y/L/N's blushing face. She's too embarrassed to look at him directly and she's tightly gripping her hands together. The amount of courage she mustered up to ask him is probably just as much courage as it took him to stroke her hair earlier.

Gulping, Sakusa places the bowl back onto the nightstand. He extends his trembling hand towards her head. Inhaling sharply, he delicately runs his thin fingers through her hair. The action feels different when she's the one to ask him to do it.

A smile graces her lips.

"Is it weird I feel so happy from something like this?" You raise your eyes up to look at Sakusa, your face completely red. Sakusa mimics your redden face with one of his own. He strokes your hair a second longer before pulling his hand back to his side.

"It's...cute." Sakusa shyly replies back.

Cute?

The very thought of Sakusa thinking your cute makes your heart flutter. The two of you avert each other's eyes after feeling embarrassed and shy.

Before, the silence was from the lack of keeping up a conversation. But it seems like the silence now is created from how aware the two are about their soft emotions.