Chapter 13 - The second chance

"Checkmate!" I shouted happily, as I took Bill's last pawn. "Huh? Impossible! How did you do that?! "the blond stared, and I smiled triumphantly.

It's been a week since our night meeting, and things have changed a bit between us. For example, he decided to take me with him to the city every night. Yes, maybe it was a little childish for two adult men to sneak out of the palace, but with Bill? Nothing seemed to be too childish or inappropriate with him being around. He wasn't like other men I've ever met. He was full of sarcasm and sometimes arrogance, yes. However, he was also full of energy, playfulness, and joy. In the evenings we bet, who would be first in the city center, had fun in a pub and yes, sometimes we even stole some buns from Abrasi. We used to returned at dusk and then slept until the afternoon, but we didn't mind at all.

For the first time since I ended up here, I felt so... happy. It was as if I had completely changed the way I looked at Bill. I no longer considered him a prisoner. He was more of a friend who made fun of me from time to time. Sometimes he tried to tease me, but I used to give it back to him.

Will also noticed a change in my mood. He always asked me what so great happened last night that I smiled so much. And I always replied the same: "Oh, it's nothing. I just slept well. "

After all, I promised to keep it a secret.

And that's how it was almost every night.

During the day, Bill had to fulfill his duties as a pharaoh, and I was in the library with Will. However, even at that time, we found time for ourselves. And one of those moments was this lunch break when we were playing senet. It was a relatively difficult game, but when Bill explained the rules to me, I immediately got into it. And how good I was at it! Today was my 4th victory in a row. I couldn't stop smiling when I saw Bill's shocked face. Finally, I could show him that I was better at something, too. "Wow, Pinetree. Are you sure you've never played it before? "Bill said, realizing that he had really lost. "Well, what can I say? I'm good at it. You have to try harder next time. "I crossed my arms and cleared the pawns from the game board.

I was ready to start a new game when Bill spoke. "Hey, how about we play a different game now? "That got my attention. "Hm? What kind of game? "I asked, and Bill got up from his chair. "Come on, I'll show you."

------------------------------

He led me slowly through the palace until we reached a place where I've never been before.

It was an inner garden. It was much smaller than the outside one, but it wasn't exactly small either. At the end of it, where the wall of the palace was, a target was placed. "This is my private garden. I come here to practice archery. "Bill explained as I looked at everything. Then he handed me a bow and a bag of arrows. "Why are you giving it to me? What is this game? "I asked, and he smiled at me. "Well, it's a pretty simple game. Do you see the target at the end of the garden? Each circle in the target will give you a certain number of points. The farthest circle will give you 10 points, and the middle will give you 50. The winner will be the one who first gets 100 points. Easy, isn't it? "He pointed and picked up the bow as well. "But I've never shot with a bow before. Isn't that kinda unfair? "I protested, and the blond approached me. "Hey, It's really simple, Pinetree. Try it. "

I did as he said. I took one of the arrows and drew it on the bow. Bill touched me lightly and tried to put my hands in the right position. "Exactly like that. Also, spread your legs more. Bend your knees and relax. "He whispered in my ear and stroked my shoulder. I could feel his breath on my neck. Agh! Too close! He was too close!

I tried to aim at the target. "Good, now just fire!" He ordered me, and I just watched the arrow fly straight at the target. I hit the third round, aka 30 points. "I did it!" I shouted. I was so happy! "See? It's nothing complicated. Well, shall we play? He patted me on the shoulder and could be seen that he was proud of me.