14

"Besides, if you stay out here, you're really going to catch a cold."

Chaerim inhaled deeply as she let out a loud sigh, keeping her head down as she followed Sunghoon up the stairs, to his apartment. Sunghoon speedily pushed the code to the apartment and as the door opened, they were greeted by the small barks of Sunghoon's dog, Gaeul (a/n: means Autumn in Korean).

"Oh oppa?" Yeji exclaimed while walking over to the door, "You're home early and... Chaerim unnie is here? Wait why are you guys so wet? Didn't you take the bus?"

Chaerim looked down as she saw small pools of water were being created at the front entrance of Sunghoon's house.

"We have a little problem," Sunghoon softly smiled while he patted Yeji's head, "Chaerim is going to be here for a while since the keypad is broken at her house."

"Ah, I see. Well, come in! You guys are going to get sick and we can't let that happen," Yeji ushered like a mom.

"Oh, Chaerim, do you have extra clothes or anything?" Sunghoon asked.

"Only my school uniform," she muttered quietly.

"Ah I see," he responded awkwardly, "Wait a second."

Sunghoon quickly walked into his bedroom and returned with a towel, a loose white long-sleeved shirt, and a pair of navy sweatpants.

"Here," he said while trying to ease the tension, "Why don't you take a hot shower, and then you can put these on."

Chaerim silently nodded as she took the clothes and walked towards the bathroom.

"Thanks."

**

"Ooh oppa, I see what you're doing," Yeji teased as Chaerim was in the bathroom.

"Yah," Sunghoon snapped as his face began to heat up, "It's... It's not like that."

"Whatever you say," Yeji laughed while playfully slapping her older brother's back.

**

As Chaerim stepped out of the steamy hot shower, she slipped on the shirt and sweatpants Sunghoon gave her. How tiny she felt wearing his clothes. The shirt went down to her mid-thighs and the sweatpants were so big, they slipped down her waist right away. She had to tie the pants as tight as she could and fold the bottoms so she wouldn't trip over herself.

"He's not even that tall, but why is he so tall?" she mumbled as she wrapped the towel around her head.

Chaerim walked out of the bathroom and found Yeji watching a TV program in the living room and Sunghoon with a towel around his shoulders, doing his homework, and eating some food.

"Um... thanks again," Chaerim said awkwardly as she sat in front of him, taking her homework out from her book bag.

"Do you want anything to eat?" he asked.

"No, I'm fin-" her stomach made an obnoxious growl.

"I'll go heat up some rice and soon dubu for you," Sunghoon responded as he got up from his seat, "You should probably tell your mom about the keypad at your house too."

"Yeah... I probably should," her voice trailed off as she walked towards the bedrooms in the back of the apartment.

Chaerim dialed her mother's number, but only to go straight to her voice mail.

"Of course her phone isn't on," Chaerim huffed with annoyance, "Whatever."

"Hey, mom... I know you're at work still, but I wanted to tell you that the keypad in front of our apartment is broken so I'm staying over at Sunghoon's house. Call me back soon. Love you."

**

She walked back to the kitchen inhaling the savory aroma of the soon dubu sitting on the table. She sat back down at the table, prayed for her meal, and began to eat.

"Thanks again," she said quietly.

"You don't have to keep saying thank you, but you're welcome," Sunghoon reassured.

They continued to eat and do their homework in awkward silence until Yeji got bored and left the living room.

"I'm going to bed now. Good night," Yeji yawned as she headed towards her room.

"Okay, good night," Sunghoon responded without looking up from his English assignment.

"Um... uh... uh Chaerim," Sunghoon hesitantly asked, "Did you finish the homework for Mrs. Ahn's English class? I need a little help. I'm so bad at English."

She looked up at him, "Yeah... which question?"

"Question 5," he responded as he looked up.

The both of them stared into each other's eyes as they felt their cheeks turn rosy and quickly averted their gaze.

"I- um... how long do you plan on keeping that towel on your head?" he asked quickly, trying to make it less awkward.

She didn't answer him.

"Here, I'll dry your hair for you. Your head is going to start to feel heavy, and you're going to hurt your neck," he said as he got up from his seat heading over to Chaerim.

"Wait- no Sunghoon-"

But before she knew it, the towel was off her head. There was no response, but complete silence.

"Ch-Chaerim," Sunghoon stuttered, "W-what happened?"