Chapter 1

Sweat began to drip down Jett's face as she stirred in her sleep. Her hands began to bawl into fists as her face began to wrinkle. No, it wasn't a dream, it was real.

Jett shot up from her sleeping position and wiped away the sweat beads and groaned. For almost a split second, she thought she was cold but then looked around the baking oven she called home.

She stood up and made her bed and roamed around the cabin, looking for something to eat but quietly so she wouldn't wake the others. She pulled her long hair into a braid and touched the fine piece as she scavenged the pantries.

"Gotcha." She mumbled as she came across a can of peaches.

Though the pantries had been filled from top to bottom, the good things had always been at the back. She sat against the cabin's walls beside the pantries. Jett opened the can of peaches and stuck her hand in to find the scrumptious piece of fruit. She ate slowly at first but hunger grew over her and she ate without swallowing.

"Hungry?" They called him Radar because every time they got lost, he found a way back to the cabin.

Jett nodded. "Couldn't help myself."

"Did you look in the back?" Radar sat beside Jett.

"Of course." Jett held up the can of peaches, feeling like a champion.

"Oh!" Radar smiled. "You got lucky, I haven't seen peaches in the back for at least a month."

"Sid is good at scavenging things." Jett explained the obvious. "She brought back five chocolate bars, they weren't even melted!"

As if on cue, Sid woke from her slumber and lurked over Radar and Jett.

"Y'all are up before the sun." Sid stopped. "Oh wait, the sun is up all the darn time."

Radar and Jett shared a quick chuckle before letting Sid say more.

"Normally I'm up first, why are y'all up?" She raised her black eyebrow which didn't match her sun-stained hair which was once black.

"I got hungry." Jett shrugged.

"And you couldn't wait for everyone else to get some grub?" Sid questioned. "What about you Radar, what's your excuse?"

"Jett's really loud." Radar put his hands up in defense.

"Right." Sid rolled her hazel eyes. "Dumb mistake, y'all critters are on look out duty today, give Simon and Cali a break."

Sid was second in command, mid-thirties, completely bossy but good at poker. She grew up on a farm and joined the national army before the world went to nothing. Radar and Jett on the other hand, where both sixteen.

"It's gonna be a hot one kids." Sid looked out the window. "Bring lots of water with you."

Jett and Radar nodded before filling up two water bottles each with the water they collected from the creek that still flowed, that still had fish. They both already had a knife in contact but traded guns with Cali and Simon before taking off to guard.

"Sid!" Jett called before running again.

Sid looked up and waited for Jett to speak.

"Tell Kelsey that I'll be back before dawn." Jett yelled and Sid nodded.

"She's your sister, you wouldn't leave her." Radar said as they took off sprinting. "I think she knows that you'll always come back."

"Perhaps." Jett nodded. "But maybe one day I won't."