Episode 1:Beginings P1

Note: It's a series, but the episodes aren't as long as a typical episode.  I have all of season 1 written already, but I'm posting once a week.  I know, Tuesday is an odd day, but oh well.

Varian felt the car vibrate when his father closed the passenger door. He flinched before setting his elbow on the car door's wedge and his chin in his hand. His father opened the driver's door and sat in his seat. Quirin didn't even glance at his son before telling him to put his seatbelt on. The fifteen year old tended to forget that part. The boy obeyed when he realized that he had forgotten the step once again.

Quirin began to drive out of the high school parking lot. There was an uncomfortable silence between the two until they reached the first light. The man sighed. "Why, Varian?"

"Dad, it wasn't my fault-" Varian began.

"This is the fourth time this semester," Quirin continued.

The teen sighed as he turned his head to his father. "I didn't mean to start the fire, Dad. If Brad would stop fooling around and randomly shoving people around me, then there wouldn't be a problem. I just keep getting blamed 'cause I'm holding the chemicals."

Quirin looked straight ahead, focusing on driving. "Varian, we're only in October! You can't risk being expelled again. We're running out of school options that are close enough to my job, and as much as you want to homeschool, I just can't do that. You don't want to have to be the new kid again, do you? We were lucky Corona High let you back in after the winter semester."

"No..." Varian winced at the mention of the incident.

"Are the teachers fair?" Quirin asked after a moment.

"For the most part," Varian admitted.

"Then why is there so much to get them to understand it wasn't your fault if it truly wasn't?"

"Dad, I promise I'm not lying." Varian felt offended his father wasn't taking his word. He was always honest. Well, for the most part, but he was then.

"I didn't mean that, I'm trying to understand, is all." Quirin looked tired.

Varian felt a little guilt settle in his stomach as he looked down. "Sorry... I don't know why either. They never actually see it and they kinda have to run off of the others' stories. Brad's pretty popular, and I'm only noticed because of the explosions, so..." his voice trailed off.

"How much was damaged?" Quirin asked.

"Just the table and the supplies on it this time. The school itself was not touched by the flames," Varian reported.

His father sighed. "I assume I'll have to be paying for it."

"You shouldn't have to. It was Brad's fault," Varian grumbled.

"Well, I don't think that's happening. I can't keep paying for these kind of things, Varian."

"I know." Varian slumped a little. "I'd pay it if I could."

His father sighed again. "I know you would. I know you don't mean to cause issues either. You follow the rules and stay in the lines, where many teens want to cross the line and break the rules just because they're not allowed to. I'm lucky to have you and I wouldn't want to trade you for another son. Alright? I love you, and I don't want you to get hurt."

"I love you too, Dad." He felt somewhat better by this, but he still couldn't shake the feeling that he had failed again.

They pulled into the driveway. Varian went to open his door, but stopped as his father spoke again. "Principal Nigel thinks that maybe it would be better if you quit your experiments."