Prologue

Sophie walked over to the edge of the cliff, right where they usually went to teleport, where Keefe had been for hours.

"Everyone's inside right now, you sure you still want to be out here?" She asked him.

He was silent for a long moment before responding. "Sophie, I can't stay here."

Sophie didn't know what to say. Why couldn't he stay? What was going on? "What do you mean?"

"I mean I can't fight. I won't be able to. I'm sorry." This wasn't the Keefe she knew.

"Whatever's going on your head we can all help you deal with together, just talk to me Keefe."

He shook his head. "I'm sorry Foster. I can't talk to anyone yet." He hesitated before going on. "I'm leaving the Lost Cities."

"What?! No, you can't!" Sophie frantically tried to think of reasons why he couldn't.

"Yeah, I can. I feel like a jerk leaving you all here to fight the enemy alone, but... I' leaving. You can't change my mind." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a blue leaping crystal.

Sophie grabbed his hand before he could hold it up to the light. "Wait! Please, make some sort of deal, you're still my friend. I'm not just going to let you leave and never come back!"

He stopped to consider this. "Come find me in eight years, then I'll come back home, but I need you to make me a promise too."

"Anything, please." Sophie could feel tears begin to gather. Why was this so hard?

"Don't forget me Foster, okay?" He smiled, and Sophie didn't have the time to stop him before he pulled from her grasp and in a flash of light, leaped away.

Sophie stood there, frozen in shock. She didn't know how long she stood like that, because the sun was setting over the horizon when Dex, Fitz, and Biana appeared on the hill.

"Sophie?" Dex asked, rushing over to see what was wrong.

Everything came crashing into her head at once, and she crumbled to the ground in tears. "He's gone, he left. He- he- he-" she stuttered, unable to get the words out.

Fitz bent down next to her. "Sophie, breath. It's okay."

She looked up, tears spilling down her cheeks. "It's not okay, Keefe's gone, he left, he's not coming back!"