Epilogue

Sophie

Sophie tugged in the sleeves of her green dress, facing her spectral mirror, and taking in her reflection.

Vertina was silent. Today would not be the day to speak out.

A knock came at her door. "Are you ready to go Foster?" Asked Keefe who had promised to come with her to the wandering woods.

"Yeah" Sophie picked up her skirts and walked out of her room.

Keefe offered her his hand once she was outside. Sophie took it without hesitation and they headed upstairs to the leap master.

"Wandering Woods" said Keefe, and they stepped through the beam of light.

They glittered into view, and traveled through the maze of trees until they found where everyone was gathered.

They all formed a line at the tree. Bex, Rex, Lex, Juline, and Biana  were already at the front. Sophie and Keefe moved to the back.

One by one people went up and knelt before the tree. Some left gifts. Some left flowers.

Finally Sophie and Keefe walked up to the tree. She gave Biana a hug before kneeling down at the tree and pulled something from her pocket.

It was her I-pod that Dex had fixed for her in her first year at foxfire many years ago. She tucked it between the roots of the already full grown tree.

"You were my best friend, always there to listen when I needed it. You always supported me, and you didn't care that I was weird, or some experiment, and you never blamed me for all the bad things that have happened. You lived a good life. I hope you rest well... wherever you are." 

Keefe squeezed her hand as she felt the tears slowly pour down her cheeks. "It's going to be okay Foster. We'll find Linh and make sure he did not die in vain."

Sophie was silent for a long time, before muttering so only they could hear the words. "I know..."

To Be Continued In Book Two...