Chapter 6: Breakfast, gang members and cigars

Last night was the best sleep I had in months and I'd have to thank the exhaustion for that. Though I hated the circumstances of it, a good uninterrupted night of sleep was all I needed to recover the tiredness I've been dragging since my necklace got stolen. Awakened by the sun shining on my face, I groaned and stretched against my mattress, considering reaching over and checking the time. I wanted to stay in bed for so much longer, but alas a knock on my door made me open my tired eyes. I yawned rather loudly and looked over to the nightstand where my wristwatch sat undisturbed. I picked it up and panic surged through my whole being as I looked at the time. It was 9:30 a.m. I was supposed to meet Korra in her office half an hour ago. Fuck. I had completely forgotten about the knocks on my door until another set of desperate hits against it made me remember.

"I'm coming!" I yelled out, my voice rough and scratchy giving away the fact that I had just woken up. I got up from my bed, reached over to grab my robe, and slipped it on walking towards the door. My hair was less messy than I in general was, but I needed to get rid of whoever was at the door quickly to go meet with Korra. Oh God, how was I supposed to face her after what happened last night? My mind rattled with excuses and apologies when I opened the door to meet my -now favorite- pair of blue eyes. Mine widened in surprise and my hands closed my robe a bit more as Korra smiled at me. It was silly really, I felt comfortable with her, but the way she looked at me made me slightly nervous and self-conscious.

"Good morning sleeping beauty." She tilted her head at me, her smile still intact. "We had a meeting, remember?"

"Korra." I cleared my throat trying to get rid of the roughness in it, to no avail. "I- I'm so sorry...it seems I overslept."

"Oh, don't worry, I overslept myself. I was worried I had kept you waiting in the office, but I figured that if I was tired you were exhausted. When I arrived to an empty office I had to assume I was right." Korra shrugged and put her hands in her pockets. She wasn't wearing anything fancy today, in fact, her clothes looked like something she had put on in a hurry. She wasn't wearing suspenders and her shirt was messily tucked into her pants and not buttoned all the way; her coat hanging on her shoulder and her tie loosely hanging around her neck. I chuckled softly and stepped aside to let her into my studio apartment. She walked in scanning the place as I closed and locked the door behind us.

"Have you had breakfast yet?" I asked her, yawning halfway through my sentence. "If you haven't I can make you some." I motioned to the kitchen.

"I'll gladly take your offer" She grinned then looked at me up and down. "But how about you let me find my way around your kitchen while you go and get ready for the day?" I blushed deeply and nodded. I turned around, went to grab some clothes, and hurried to the bathroom. I thought it was odd for her to offer to make breakfast, but to be honest I was so starving and tired I didn't think much of it. As I opened the tab to the shower and stepped in, I could hear commotion around the kitchen, and, soon enough, the smell of eggs and bacon reached my nose and my mouth watered. I quickly finished my shower, brushed my teeth, put on my dress, and walked out of the bathroom trying to zip it. Korra was setting the plates when she caught sight of me.

"How did you find out where I live?" I asked her, still trying to pull up my zipper. I always had problems zipping up this dress, I didn't realize this was the one I picked before it was too late.

"Ah well, I'm a detective you see." She grinned at me and chuckled. I rolled my eyes at her and smiled. "Honestly, it was a lucky shot. I know the club is closed Mondays and Tuesdays, but I went there anyway to see if you were around. I saw Kuvira with this guy talking at the front door, I approached her, asked where you lived, and here I am." She was setting the last sunny-sided egg on the plate when she saw me struggling with the zipper and walked towards me. "Please, allow me."