Chapter 29: Back to Normal

It was raining, heavily.  It was odd, considering that it was already December and usually we got a bit of snow.  Still, I prefer the rain over snow every time and always.  It was also quiet...very quiet.  The only sound that I could hear the water droplets falling on my black umbrella and all around the marble squares on the floor.  I stared down at the tombstone and sighed in small agony.  

"Hey..."  I whispered and kneeled down next to it, running my hand through the letters imprinted on the marble; in my other hand, a bouquet of roses and my umbrella.  I brushed some dirt off the top of the tombstone and frowned. "I'm sorry... I know you used to hate when I apologized, but this time I owe it."  I placed the bouquet down on its designated place and got back on my feet.  

"I know you'd tell me it wasn't my fault, but it really was."  I swallowed thickly and let out a deep sigh.  "I'm also sorry I didn't come sooner, look at this."  I rolled my eyes and leaned down to clean some leaves and dirt off the letters of her name, reading as I did.   It didn't matter how many times I did, it was still painful to bare.  I sometimes found myself entering a bar, hoping to see her waiting for me with a martini glass...or maybe even waiting at home... Of course, that would never happen for she was bound to the earth and kept from life.  

Yasuko Sato

1875-1915

Your husband and daughter miss you dearly

"The strength of your heart makes you who you are"

"I..."  trailing off, I stood upright again and wiped a tear that lost itself on my cheek.  "I promised to keep that necklace and...it was in such wrong hands for more than a month, I know you probably stirred a few times down there, huh?"  I chuckled to myself at the joke and sniffled.  "I did it, mom.  I made it out of the organization and managed to forgive dad and Mako...isn't that great? It's saddening that it took drastic measures, but...I'm glad to have part of my family back again...if not all."  My eyes trailed off from her grave up to the sky, and saw the clouds starting to move away.  "You probably already know this...but I met someone, and her eyes are as blue as the sky beneath the dark clouds.  I know what happened wasn't her fault, that you laying here isn't Korra's doing...I'm glad you taught me to learn and forgive. I love her so much...I wish you could actually meet her..." My gaze fell back to the grave.  "I honestly wish we had more time, mom...but you always said that things happened for a reason, right?"  I grinned and swallowed the threatening sob.  "I'm happy, I really am...finally I'm complete...and one day, hopefully, we'll meet again." 

I ran my hand through my hair and closed the umbrella, since the rain had stopped.  I stayed silent for a small amount of time, then looked down at my wrist watch.  Visiting hours were about to start and I wanted to be there on time.  I smiled down at the grave.  "I won't be back here for a bit, since I'm going to Ba Sing Se and Emerald Island for a while...but once I set foot again in Republic City, I'll come visit and have picnics with you everyday. You always loved those."  I kneeled down once again, kissed my palm and placed it over her name.  "I love you, mom.  I'll see you soon, okay?  Don't go anywhere."  I laughed softly and stood up, locking my green eyes with the blue ones that stood a couple of feet away under a tree.  Korra made her way towards me with a soft smile, and looked down at the grave with sad eyes.  

"I'm sorry." She whispered and I held onto her hand tightly.  I knew how difficult this was for her, so when she told me she would be waiting by the tree I didn't mind.  Her next words took my by surprise.  "Although, I took her light from her...I promise to give it back.  I'll love your daughter until I can no longer breathe and protect her with my own life."  She looked at me with a grin, a soft breeze blew her hair slightly.