Chapter 30: A Train to Ba Sing Se

"What if you find a new best friend in Ba Sing Se and forget about me?"  Kuvira sighed dramatically, laying down on my bed and with her back against the board.  "Worse yet, a fire nation best friend.  I hear they're  quite crazy and you like that.  Remember the time we got drunk and jumped in  the fountain naked down at the park?" I laughed at this and shook my head.   It's been a few weeks and Kuvira was already feeling much better.  At first she couldn't walk much, so I pushed her around in a wheelchair until she could at least walk slightly properly.  The doctor told her that it wasn't wise to get up so soon, but Kuvira insisted on not needing the wheelchair...specially after a certain incident with Korra and a small slope.  In my defense, I honestly thought I had put the brakes in the wheelchair when I let go to buy some fruit at a stand.  Poor Korra was walking up the slope when Kuvira came down at her at full speed.  I'm not supposed to admit it, but it was funny. 

"You just have to remind me of that, huh?"  I smirked and put some folded clothes on my suitcase.  She rolled her eyes and pointed to a piece of clothing I had missed, picking it up and throwing it in.  "You're not getting replaced.  Besides, we'll speak on the telephone almost everyday."  Kuvira sighed dramatically again and leaned her head back against the bed board, staring at the ceiling. 

"I can't wait until I get to visit you in Ember Island, I've always wanted to go there."  She leaned her head down and watched me sort through my jewelry.  "Where is Korra by the way? Don't you leave in a few hours?" 

"Yeah that's exactly why she's not here.  She's finishing up packing and will meet me at the train station.  I have to go to say goodbye to my dad and return the necklace to him, anyway."  I took the necklace that Korra had gifted me the night of the ball and smiled at it.  These weeks with Korra without any worry have been great.  We spent everyday together and woke up next to each other almost every morning.  Even Naga seemed to be delighted to be around someone else and being taken to the part more often.  I put the necklace with the rest of the jewelry I was taking and closed the suitcase.  I wasn't taking much to be honest, whatever I needed I could buy there. 

"Can I go? I'll leave you at the train station and I'll drive myself home."  I turned my gaze from the suitcase to her and raised an eyebrow to my best friend.  

"Nice try, Kuvira.  You're not driving.  Mako is going to take me to the train station and drop off the car at the club."  Kuvira huffed in anger and crossed her arms against her chest.  I chuckled at the sigh and took a lot at my wrist watch.  "Which reminds me. Get up, I'm taking you home before going to the Estate."  She rolled her eyes and reached for her cane that was next to her, as I picked up my two suitcases and bag.  I watched as she slowly got up from my bed and shook her head. 

"Take me to the club.  I'm meeting with June and she's taking me home after."  I nodded and opened the door for her to walk out.  I took one last look at my apartment, sighed and locked the door behind me.  I groaned in frustration when I caught up to Kuvira and she was slowly going down the flight of stairs. 

"Are you kidding me?! There's an elevator. You're not supposed to be walking down stairs!"

"Shut up, mom!" She laughed and eventually made it down, smirking once she did.  We walked down to my car and, after putting my bags on the backseat, I took Kuvira to the Red Lotus.  I helped her stand up and she grinned at me once we made it to the front door.  "Asami...it's so nice to see you grow with me." 

"Are you really pulling the goodbye speech?" I mocked her and she rolled her eyes, her face falling into a sad one. 

"I won't see you for a long time...and I've gotten used to being around you almost everyday."  I frowned slight, letting her continue. "I know we had our ups and downs, but I'm glad to call you my best friend.  I know once you get back we'll be together for a very long time."  She smiled at me and took my hand, giving it a squeeze.