Chapter 7: Two leads, one Korra

Sweet melody traveled through the club as I played the keys of the grand piano that sat in the middle of the salon. I sighed deeply, closed my eyes, and let my own lullaby consume me and take me to my happy place. The piano was old, perhaps even older than me, but the familiarity of it was like -to me- walking home after a long day of work and collapsing on my bed. It's such a shame it's getting replaced so soon. Maybe I'll ask Tenzin if I could keep it in my apartment. Where would I fit it though? My studio is so small-

"Asami, would you stop playing and focus?!" I slammed my fingers against the keys and glared up at Mako. "You should be the one deciding on what to do." I scowled at his tone.

"Don't speak to her like that!" Korra and Kuvira both yelled in unison and I suddenly remembered why I started playing in the first place.

"I call the shots in this investigation, by the way." Korra spat out, pacing back and forth around the tables. "That's what I was hired to do anyways..."

"Do you even know what you're doing? Because I don't see the thing on Asami's neck." Mako got closer and stared down at her. Korra didn't hesitate, she looked up at him with pure anger filling her eyes. I swear I could see smoke coming off her.

To get things straight, this whole argument began because Mako kept claiming his lead was more important than finding out who the cigar girl was. Korra disagreed and suddenly Mako started questioning her ability on her work, which got her worked up. Kuvira and I were just letting them sort things out. I started playing the piano and she sat next to me watching me; occasionally playing notes on her side. Now that I wasn't playing, she sat on the table next to the piano with her face buried in her hands. I could tell she had a headache, and so did I. I turned back into their argument just as Mako told Korra to go settle things outside with him and the idiot of a detective agreed. I stood up abruptly.

"No one is going to go outside to settle anything." I walked between them and looked up at Mako. "You're arguing for no reason. Want to tell me what's going on with you?"

"I risked too much to be able to get this information, for it to be disregarded for a cigar girl." He argued. "Do you know how dangerous it was for Zaheer to tell me this?"

"Tell you exactly what?" Korra asked him, anger still lingering in her tone.

"The leader of the Fire Ferrets, Varrick, is hosting a masquerade ball in honor of his wife. Talk between the workers is that she will be wearing a newly acquired gold and diamond necklace. Sounds like yours, but I'm not sure." He told us, certainly capturing our attention. Even Kuvira had stood up to stand next to us.

"Oh, so you're arguing about possible mistaken information. It might not even be her necklace." Korra mumbled and he turned to glare at her.

"When is the ball?" I asked him to get his attention quickly back to me.

"This Thursday."

"Can you get them in?" Kuvira chimed into the conversation.

"I'll be risking a lot, but if you promise to not cause commotion... I can. You need to keep a low profile, my men are suspected by the gang as it is."

Korra now rubbed her forehead, looking down at the floor. Was she really considering going to the ball? Worse yet, a ball full of gang members. I saw her turn to Kuvira.

"Does Opal work Wednesday?" Kuvira nodded at this. "Alright so we come back Wednesday night.." she was now looking at me "... you come, perform for Tenzin while I speak with Opal about the cigar lady." I shook my head.

"I want to be present when you talk to Opal. I want to hear what she says." I told her, making her look at me with fake hurt.

"You don't trust me, Asami? Ouch." I chuckled at her, giving her a warm grin.