Chapter 31: Ember Island

One year later

I let out a deep sigh, staring out the front door that led to the beach painted orange by dusk.  Ember Island has been nothing but kind since I got here, I never wanted to leave.  Truth be told, I could be at Republic City by now; but I opted with staying here as long as I could.  The Red Lotus in Ba Sing Se was an instant hit, so we moved onto this one quicker than expected.  It was doing great, actually and I did amazing over there.  I managed to meet a producer and got Unchained Melody out as a single and it skyrocketed my career.  However, I wasn't really into the idea at the time and I'm still slipping on the attention; so I told him to not put my face on the cover of the vinyl.  Still, the name Asami Sato was starting to really be known and people would fill up the bar to hear me sing.  Managers and producers tried to always get my attention, but so far I decided to skip on them.  I have many opportunities waiting but, at that time, the spotlight wasn't for me. 

Korra and I got separated a year ago, and it still felt like the first minute after she disappeared from my gaze at the train station.  I would count the windows of the buildings in Ba Sing Se waiting for her to come, but she never did.  I just kind of shut down at some point, and Mako got more worried with everyday passing.  Kuvira called and tried chatting with me everyday, but after a while we only spoke two times a week; and that was my fault.  Of course, she understood and whenever we spoke she did her best to cheer me up; succeeding always. Then we moved to Ember Island and I started losing hope,  yet my love for Korra remained intact.  It was a bizarre feeling, I felt like she was with me even though she wasn't even near me.  With the thought of her, I reached my hand up to my neck and touched the necklace she had gifted me.  I had shortened it to a choker type of piece and placed it over my mom's necklace.  It felt nice to have a reminder of both of them on me.  I took a long drink of my whiskey and picked up the cigarette from the ash tray.  

"You're off the clock tonight, Asami, why don't you go to your cabin?"  Mako's voice dragged me out of my thoughts and I looked up at him with a raised eyebrow.  After he left with me to Ba Sing Se, he made sure to cut his official ties with my father's organization.  He was actually delighted to have Mako accompanying me during my travels and encouraged his new lifestyle.  After speaking with Tenzin, Mako got a job being a bartender and he exceled on the matter.  

"And do what?" I took a drag from the cigarette and held the smoke in. "Dwell on my self pity? Jinora came to visit, the least I could do is come and hear her sing."  He sighed in defeat as I let out the smoke from my lungs.  "Besides, I don't want to miss the beautiful dusk." 

"It is beautiful."  Jinora suddenly said besides me, and pulled me into a quick side hug.  Although at first I was reluctant of her visit, I was glad she would be here with me for the next month or so.  Kai stood next to her and smiled at her as she watched the sunset.  Kuvira and I decided not to tell Jinora about his indirect involvement with Opal, because the kid actually didn't even noticed his involvement.  Also, he turned his life around.  He left the Fire Ferrets and devoted his life to being better for Jinora, learning how to sing and play the piano.  They had become a hit on Republic City, which made me feel better about not returning sooner.  I just needed that space from it and everything it held. 

"You're beautiful."  He mumbled at her and kissed her cheek sweetly.  I took another long drink of my whiskey and wiggled the empty glass at Mako with a smile.  He rolled his eyes and filled it up for me. 

"You two better get on stage." I looked at them and pointed at the clock in the wall.  Jinora gasped and pulled Kai with her to the stage, getting behind the mic with a small smile.  

"Hello everyone, please enjoy the evening."  She said softly into the mic and the club erupted into gentle claps.  I watched Kai get behind his own microphone and grabbed it tightly, still getting nervous during every performance. I smiled slightly at them, their duos remind me always of Korra and mine's.  My gaze tore from them to the silver vinyl for our song that hung framed on the wall.  God I missed her.  My trance got broken when I heard Kai pour his lyrics into the music that had started playing.