Chapter 19: Bruised Ego

The drive to the club was mostly silent, and it was my fault.  My mind was anywhere but in the present, and Korra understood my silent as tiredness; since I had told her so.  In reality, I was thinking of her and Tenzin's proposal.  I looked down to our intertwined fingers and sighed softly, looking back at the road.  Our relationship was starting to spark up again, and I had to decide whether to leave or to stay in Republic City.  It's not like I'll leave for long, but part of me wondered if she would come with me.  It was selfish to think like that, I'd be asking her to put her life on hold for me.  I couldn't ask that of her, right?  I felt her squeeze my hand and brought it to her lips, kissing it softly.  She didn't make this easy at all.  It was obvious we had brought down some barriers we set up that night accidentally, I think it felt natural for the both of us to treat the other with love.  But, to what extent could I drop the rest? 

"Do you think Kuvira will be at the club when we get there?"  She spoke, breaking our comfortable silence.  I looked at my wrist watch and noticed it was merely 7:30a.m. and considering it was Thursday, I doubted it quite a bit. 

"She might be there a bit later, to be honest.  Last night she must've gone to bed late."  I let go of Korra's hand momentarily to shift the gear and took it back.  "Why do you ask?"

"Oh well, I was hoping we could stop by my apartment for a moment then somewhere else.  I had forgotten I needed to hand my client some photos he asked me to take.  We were supposed to meet today at this hour." 

"Photos?"  I turned to the left in one intersection, changing my route to Korra's apartment. 

"Yeah, he wanted to know if his wife is cheating on him."  I chuckled at this. I thought that people only asked P.I.s to check on those details in movers and stories.  "Turns out she is and you won't guess with who." 

"Do I know him?" I looked at her, stopped in a red light.  She had pure amusement plastered on her face. 

"Her, and yeah you actually do.  I'll let you think on it."  I stared at the red light and started thinking of all the women I know.  Jinora was with Kai, Kya was already married, Opal was with Bolin, and Kuvira... had told me she was seein- 

"No way!" I screamed and Korra's loud laughter attracted the attention of people in the sidewalk.  The light turned green and I speeded up.  "She told me she was seeing someone, she did tell me it was just a fling though, that she wasn't really interested...but I didn't know she was married!"  I pulled up to Korra's building and watched her get out of the car. 

"She didn't know either I'm sure of it.  I have pictures of the wife taking off her ring before meeting her."  She told me, before she jogged up the stairs and into her building.  I started laughing again, I had to.  Kuvira had told me that the person she was seeing kissed like a married woman, that she was about to break things off because it was getting kind of boring.  She's going to have a field day with this one, and so was I.  A few moments later, Korra was in my car with an envelope on her hands. 

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" I asked her and she smiled. 

"I can't disclose details of an un going investigation.  I'm only telling you because the case is closed.  Our next stop is the Jasmine Dragon."  I nodded and started up the car to drive there.  

We got there a few moments later and, before stepping out of the car, Korra handed me the only picture she had that showed Kuvira's and her "lover's" face.  I won't lie she was kind of pretty. I set the picture down and watched her walk across the street, and into the establishment; stopping at a table next to the window.  I sighed and watched as the cars drove by, but screaming coming from the inside of the shop caught my attention.  I saw a woman slap her husband across the face, yelling about how untrustworthy he was of her.  Korra spoke and handed her the envelope with the pictures.  The couple both opened the envelope and things escalated when the husband started yelling.  Why were they doing this in public?   Then she started yelling at him and Korra tried to intervene, earning her a punch in the face by the wife.