Chapter 5 - Finally Settled

The headline writers had not let go of the story about Hugo nearly drowning and the vanishing four girls who came to his rescue. The story was exacerbated when Hugo was released from hospital as television news channels showed almost rolling coverage of him walking out to a waiting car. In the days that followed one tabloid had  gone as far as to suggest that the incident was no accident whilst another had received mobile phone footage of Hugo being thrown into the pool. Another few days passed and CCTV footage from the leisure centre feed had also materialised showing the rescue then after a further week more CCTV showing Paul MacIntrye in an embrace with one of the rescuers was released onto the Internet through social media.

"Damn!" Aaron cursed, throwing the first edition newspaper prints across his office. "Will they not let up!"

It had just gone midnight when Aaron stormed out of his office door and into the Security Operations main floor of the MacIntrye building in downtown Los Angeles.  "Someone get me David MacIntrye on the phone, I also want to speak to Robert Wells, Juliette Sweet at The Palms - oh and get me the Head of PR in New York. I have had enough of this bullshit!"

"The PR team, in New York say it's just after 3:00am and are saying that Fiona is having some private time tonight and not to...." an office junior informed Aaron.

"I don't give a shit about her private time!" Aaron cut in before the sentence could be finished,  "...She could be riding on top of the President and I'd still have her interrupted! I want her on the line in five minutes or I'll be getting her fired!" he snapped furiously. From the corner of his eye he spotted the big screen displaying news feeds from around the world. The UK breakfast television feed drew his attention as Piers Morgan filled the screen and a plan formulated in his mind. 

Approximately 15 minutes after barking his order the conference calls were set up and Aaron addressed his audience. He explained the latest news headlines and firstly addressed Robert Wells. "I'm sorry Robert but the plan to keep silent is simply not working. We need to get offensive now. I have a member of my team being accused of attempted murder of your son by the press and I am not standing for it! The mobile footage put out on social media by that tabloid is out of order - that was a consensual act to practice Hugo's ability to handle being thrown into water during a hostage situation." 

Robert Wells agreed that the situation was now out of hand and said he will be speaking to his wife and will make a public statement about the incident at the pool. David MacIntrye agreed that something need be done to bring the worlds attention to the girls who carried out the rescue - and agreed with Juliette and Fiona that they need some good PR and hopefully the press would then leave them alone. On the subject of Paul and Leanne - that was going to be more of a challenge. Leanne was of course now staying at 'The Palms', the very same estate where Paul lived - they would have to explain that there is no relationship and she was placed their to help with her privacy as one of the rescuers - but this would mean the press would be seen as the bad guys and they would not really be wanting to publicise that and incriminate themselves as bullies. Before the call ended David asked to speak to Aaron privately. He began, "Well I'm glad we have a new plan Aaron,  I'd would like to thank you personally for taking charge of this situation, I think we should keep the Wells family out of this operation now, what they have done so far has led from one disaster to another. Do you think we have someone feeding info to the press?"

Aaron replied straight out, "I agree and yes, I do. I don't know who yet but someone on the inside is definitely sending out things we don't want them too. I've looked at the security logs and just about anyone could have lifted that CCTV footage. I've tried hacking the mobile footage too but that sent us on a wild goose chase and through several layers of proxy servers in Russia.  I really don't think these things are a coincidence."