18 - the hard and bitter truth

(trigger warning for mentions of suicide, overthinking and questions of reality. this has mentions of the previous story so if you havent read that read it)

Lance stared down at the phone in his hands, a slight tremble as he continued to read the message his former comrade had left, its easy to forget about all of this, its easy to pretend hes another person but the lies and constant overthinking wouldnt allow him to be okay with picking up the phone, but him being the "famous" blue he had to agree to whatever his fans wanted and in this case the fan was keith, keith kogane. 

the phone buzzed, the screen lighting up bringing the dark room to a dim lit, then it happened, he clicked the answer button and waited for the amle on the other side of the phone to speak, it was quiet at first an awkward tension filling the room as lances heart sped up in anticipation, its easy being like this, sitting in silence as the soft buzzing from his apartment heater allowing him to calm down.

A soft voice came from the otherside of the phone, it was small and if he hadnt been listening or waiting for this moment he would of missed it. it was shocking to say the least, he didnt know weather it was the longing or the anticipation but he had felt let down with the small "hey" he had received. 

"hey" he replied back trying to deepen his voice to the point it was unrecognizable, instead he just sounded like he had smoked a twelve pack in under a minute. great.

"how are you? sorry for the small talk i dont usually talk on the phone like this" ah, that makes sense he thinks hes talking to a "famous" singer who has millions of fans on youtube. 

"im alright, its just super late here so im kinda sleepy (that was a lie, hes wide awake), how are you?" while i don't believe in fate nor do i believe in the ideal that everything happens for a reason its just fitting, almost twisted that Keith was the one to win the competition, its daring to say the least. Us on the phone like this like we're not just waiting for the punch line, like a really, really bad joke. This was all a really bad joke. 

"understandable, sorry for randomly calling you like this its just that im kind of lonely tonight and i didnt want to be alone" a small sigh came from the other side of the phone, it wasnt loud or irritable it was simply melancholy. in a twisted way it was similar to how they all left him after voltron landed on earth, it was like everything and everyone was okay but him, it was once again a twisted game of fate and he hated every idea of it. it was like they were tempting Lance, Blue, to snap but on the other hand he was curious why the previous... something, was lonely. Curiosity got the better of the boy and he couldnt help but ask:

"why?" shit.

"no its nothing you should worry about, truly im fine." 

A small sigh escaped his lips and before lance could stop himself he said "samori you can talk to me, remember" after he whispered that a small moment of realisation hit him, he shouldn't of said that, pure panic came over him and the only thing that can stop the suffocating silence to stop, the busy roads of new York not filling up the silence that took over his mind and it all slowly crumpled. His mask crumbling to nothing and it all felt empty. 

Then it stopped, the silence was filled with a bitter laugh nothing sweet or cold simply bitter. he had laughed and it made no sense, why was he laughing? 

"someone i used to know called me that" 

"used to know?" he choked back, it came out smoother and less forced then he had originally thought. 

"well as you can tell he died, a long time ago" it wasnt that long ago Lance thought, and better yet, dead?! 

"oh, im sorry for your loss, you can talk about him if you want, im here to listen" 

"well he was tall, his smile bringing the sun to shame and god his voice was so brilliant, it was like he was always by my side, like a best friend but more if you know what i mean? he was my everything, my bitter truth, my sunrise and sunset, yet if i had realised it sooner.." he paused his voice cracking ever so slightly. "... he would be here today." 

"if you dont mind me asking, how did he pass? i know its rude to just ask im simply asking out of curiosity."

"he shot himself while we were travelling the universe" it all stopped. the sounds around lance stopped, the ringing headache he has almost every time he thought back to that night became apparent and everything fell apart, the scenery around him slowly faded and we were in a white room, white floor and bedding to match and then there he was, long black hair surrounding the once mullet wearing man, he was in all white and his eyes were dark, at first glance he wouldn't of recognised him, keith that is, his mouth opened to address me, lance, blue. "hey Lance, long time no see" 

How? what? i was in my room and now here i am, whats happening i dont understand. 

"you must be confused, i mean i too would be confused"

"keith, what happened" i whispered out, my words coming out so soft that i didnt hear it myself at first.

"youre dead Lance, you didnt survive and now youre a wondering soul looking for purpose, everything you made, no, WE made wasnt real, the voices, the childhood friend, the bitter truth is that youre tormenting me, everywhere i go you're there too. i can escape you, why wont you leave me alone?"

shock, shock is all that he felt and then it finally happened, his knees gave out, eyes watering and silent tears came leaking out of his eyes and they leaked onto the floor, the dam clothing he was wearing slowly going back to the once tshirt and jeans he wore the night he decided to take away everything, grabbing at empty fabric and anger crashing over him. no, is survived i KNOW i did, so why is this happening? why am i like this? this isnt real, its just another nightmare, yet no matter what he did he wouldn't wake up.

"lance." the weeping boy on the floor didnt reply, to confused, to anxious, everything crashing down on him, the being abandoned, the empty wandering, the corridor that shoed him all of this memories, it all came rushing back, anger filled him to the brim, hes lying.

"lance, im sorry"

lances eyes shot up, anger filling him to the brim ready to kill the pray that is now sitting up infront of him.

"you. you. you have no right to apologise to me, you just expect me to believe this? believe that im dead?" he continued to stare at the figure infront of him, the mood shining onto his face, a distant and pained expression on his now sickly face. "it cant be real, i refuse to believe that its real, i survived keith, i saw you on shiro, im real, see touch my hand im real!" in a aimless attempt to scramble forward he went to hold keiths hand only for it to be pointless, he just went straight through. "no, no, no, no, noo i lived keith, you have to believe me i lived please i  lived" 

"lance, lance darling you dont understand how much i want to believe you but i cant, i simply cant, why are you doing this to me, why wont you leave me in peace? is this a curse you placed on me? im sorry, im so so sorry but please i just want to be in peace, lance im so sorry we couldnt be this, we couldnt be thhe happily ever after you longed for, but please i need to be set free from this endless winter." 

and then it happened, a bright light shining up the room, his every move being followed and then it hit him, he was dead. the painful reality hit him and yet he didnt want to leavem, no, no what about my music career? what about blue? what about-

"lance, i know you must have questions but please know that i loved you, from the moment we met eyes, the moment i held you, i knew we were meant for something"

fate is cruel thing, setting it all up to end in tragedy, keith and lance were like romeo and julliet both set up to be a love story, only for it to end in a cruel twist of fate. it all seemed kind, it all seemed to be out of a fairy tail but the bitter truth is nothing new to us, its how it ends, one being alone and the other wandering eternity. 

End.

hello everyone! i know that its been awhile but heres the end, all of the things lance experianced were what keith believed he would be if he survived, please if you didnt read the train wreck of a previous story then please do but other then that thank you all  for sticking around.