Chapter 8- The Fierce Battle for Obsidian

Prepare for war! The story is kicking into second-gear, so stay tuned and don't forget to vote and comment if you like the story so far and don't be afraid to criticize, point out errors or even suggest ideas!

Daniel's heart stopped, the day has barely begun and it has just been shock after shock "They've made it clear that they want the second piece of the Resurrection Statue that was entrusted to Humanity around six years ago, when this powerful artifact was broken apart to prevent the reawakening of the warrior who almost destroyed Granya. The Cyclopean Empire and the Orcs formed an alliance and have said they will take it by force if need be." General Ashdown told the crowd of silent soldiers. "We shall make preparations today and depart tomorrow; the southern forces of Shira will rendezvous with the southern forces of Yashakiro  at the southern border of Human Territory. There we will travel further south and face the Cyclopean and Orc enemies head on, if we don't encounter them beforehand." David explained with detail as the majority of the soldiers were still trying to grasp the situation.

"The enemy is not to be underestimated in any way, Orcs aren't very smart, but their strength is very formidable, it's likely you'd sustain serious injuries from just a punch. The Cyclopeans are even more dangerous with strength equal to that of orcs but intelligence that passes and is equal to greater of that which humans possess." Kai explained, stepping forward on the stage. "Normally, a human versus an orc or cyclopean would not survive, and would be destroyed by their immense strength. However, human soldiers are stronger and we are even stronger together, along with berninium and other weapons, the humans can face these enemies on equal, if not higher ground." Kai continued, giving the soldiers a slight sense of inspiration while boosting their morale.

"Alright soldiers, start the preparations. We have until sundown!" General Ashdown said as he dismissed them. For most of the day, Daniel and Nina helped in placing the needed supplies on the wagons they would be taking for the battle: weapons, food, sheets, guns, bows and arrows, anything that they would need for the battle ahead as well as the journey. Late into the day, all of the novs were ordered to train for the next day, refining their skills a little more before their first battle. At sunset, they were all dismissed and allowed to return to their homes and rest as much as they can.

Daniel and Nina returned to their house, bringing with them news of war. They told their father after dinner and when their mother left the room "Hmm...so it won't be long now before I'm called to Halstrom by MAG." Their father said.

"So mom's going to be alone for a while?" Daniel asked.

"Yes, but she'll be alright. She'll go to her sisters for the time being. The worst it's ever been for her is just a little worry, she's tough. That's part of the reason I married her." Kevin told them.

"So what do you make of it, you know, this war?" Nina asked.

"I think there's something bigger at play, something involving the Resurrection Statue. You know what it is? It's an artifact, left here by the gods. It was rumored to have the power to bring deities and even gods into this mortal plain, it could also bring someone back from the dead without the use of necromancy, but it was marveled for the first ability. I think there's some organization out there that wants to create chaos, either way, MAG will figure it out." Their father responded. "Just be careful, both of you. I don't want to lose you, those orcs are dangerous, so don't underestimate their intelligence, yes they're dumb, but they know how to kill. Please protect each other and make it back alive." He stressed to them both.

"We will, don't worry." Daniel replied.

Shortly after dinner they went to bed, in his bed, Daniel worried about his dream, it seemed like the upcoming battle was a match to his dream or maybe he was just jumping to conclusions, either way he couldn't shake the feeling something was going to go wrong on this expedition. Even though he was nervous, he fell asleep rather easily, fading off into a peaceful slumber as all his worries were washing away. Morning came all too soon, the sun rising seconds after the moon descended, waking the world with its blinding light. Daniel awoke well rested, getting dressed in his uniform with chain mail underneath for the day ahead. The chain mail was awarded to them when they graduated, a base armor that all soldiers start out with. He gathered all of the standard equipment that each soldier carried with them into battle, which includes a sword, gun, knives, water canteen and a roll of bandages in case of injury. Just as he was tying his boots, Nina opened his door, "The carriage is here to pick us up." She said before continuing to walk down the hall to the living room.