Chapter 15- Short-Tempered Cyclopes

"Oh, there's the Cyclopean wall!" Nina shouted, not too long after they split from General Ashdown's company, riding west to the Abandoned Village.

"Yeah, it's not too far south. We should go farther north to avoid them, since they haven't been that friendly to us recently." Mason recommended as he helped them navigate with a map.

"I think we should, I don't want us to run into any Cyclops patrols..." Frank said in a worried tone.

"Don't worry so much Frank; we'll be fine as long as we don't cross into their territory." Nina said to reassure him "So we should be clear a few miles north, right?"

"Yes, at least I thi-" Mason's sentence was ended in a flash as Nina saw something fly by her and tear through Mason's chest, throwing him off of his horse. She saw his life end right away and within seconds, demonstrating how quickly a life can be snuffed out, how quickly something can be destroyed.

Nina was shocked and speechless "Multiple Cyclopes approaching from the west!" A soldier announced.

"W-we should get out of here before they call for reinforcements!!" Frank said with an increasing level of fear, but Nina didn't listen, she only charged forward.

"No. We need to kill them here and now!" She shouted as she was furious at the death of their friend.

She's going to get herself killed! We have to help her! B-but she's crazy, going in there alone! Frank thought nervously as he tried to gather up the courage to go after her.

Nina charged straight at the group of Cyclopes, only moving as she dodged multiple, thick cyclopean spears  as they were thrown at her. Quickly drawing her gun, she fired, hitting one of them right in the eye with an instant kill that toppled them from their horse. One down, five to go. She counted down in her head, Mason's death powering her adrenaline fueled massacre. "DIE, YOU ONE-EYED FREAKS!" She shouted, charging another with her blade before she lanced him in the chest, two.

"Freaks?! That's it, now all you humans are as good as dead!" A Cyclops reacted to her shout of rage. Two of the brutes got on either side of her and threw their destructive spears, one of which she dodged, the other she used her strength to change its trajectory with her blade. The spear she dodged entered the Cyclops opposite of its owner, the second she hit landed in the ground in front of the remaining Cyclops, forcing his horse to stop and change direction.

She pulled out her pistol again and shot him three times in the head and back, four. Suddenly, her horse was hit with the blade of one of the last Cyclopes's kusarigama and crashed, knocking her onto the ground. Before she could recover, a spear was thrown at her with cyclopean strength; she didn't have time to dodge. Then in an instant, Frank leapt in front of it, taking the spear through the chest and slowing the spear just long enough for her to get out of the way before the spear pinned Frank to the ground. The spear landed with a splash of blood that soaked the grass around it.

"Ha, you humans are so weak; our spears go right through your delicate bodies! Now I shall reunite you with your two friends." The Cyclops said as he yanked the blade of his kusarigama from a nearby tree, where it landed. He spun the blade over his head and brought it down with a diagonal slash at Nina, but she dodged it and sliced at him. The Cyclops leapt back and yanked his chain, which brought back his blade to throw again. This time, she moved only a few inches, narrowly dodging the blade as it zoomed past her and was embedded into a tree behind her. Then, with the chain suspended tightly in the air, she brought her sword down upon it, destroying the connection to his blade. "No, NO!! I will not be defeated by a-a weak human girl! I am the Great General Orlag, and I am supreme!" He shouted as he spun the heavy counter-weight in the air. Nina ran straight for him as he brought the larger piece of metal down in front of him, as it fell; she got out of the way at the last moment and continues to come at him. When it hit, it got lodged in the ground, but instead of looking scared, nervous, or even angry, Orlag smiled as she approached. "You fought well, young warrior, but it's over!" he then pulled the chain and brought up a large chunk of the ground, that he brought down upon Nina.