Chapter 9- A Clue

After they were done collecting the dead human soldiers, they slept at sundown, awaking early to get home as quickly as possible. In the morning they started packing their makeshift base, taking down the many tents and stacking them in the wagons available, the ones without corpses. Daniel hid in the medical tent, trying to figure out what was wrong with him until they started packing that tent as well, putting the unconscious soldiers in a couple of empty wagons. In the distance, a soldier spotted someone approaching them on horseback, only visible because of the fading violet and orange light of the just rising sun "Sir, a messenger approaches!" the soldier shouted to either of the generals.

"I see them, I see them..." David told him as he walked towards the incoming horseman. The messenger stopped just feet in front of General Ashdown, hastily climbing off his horse with a scroll clutched tightly in his right hand "So what's so important that they couldn't wait for our return?" The General asked curiously, scratching his beard.

"It's a letter from the king addressed specifically to you, General Ashdown, sir. It's about that day, the incident four years ago." The Messenger explained before handing David the scroll. He took it, unraveled it immediately and read it:

3/21/680

Dear General Ashdown,

I will fill you in on what has been happening since your departure to fight the orcish and cyclopean threats on the fourteenth. The Heroes of Arcania have been investigating a lead they found connecting the incident from the year 676 to a new organization discovered east of Halstrom and west of Geodia; upon further investigation they uncovered concrete evidence, proving their involvement. I cannot stress this enough. I want you to be as non-hostile as you can when approaching this group, for there is a chance there is something bigger at play, and the ones on top are just using this organization. However this is only a hunch, I'm entrusting this mission to your and General Cortez's men. I only want you to see if you can't at least talk to their leader, if they are not cooperative, I'll leave it to your own judgement what to do. I just want this encounter to be as peaceful as it can be, without unnecessary violence. The Heroes of Arcania also told me this; they have a peculiar power and call themselves the Experiments. Be careful and don't take any unnecessary risks.

Your good friend,

King Benjamin III

After General Ashdown read the letter, he walked in front of the wagons "ATTENTION!" he shouted, gaining almost all of the soldier's attention as the messenger rode off back to the human capital. David then began explaining their change of plans "Soldiers, I have just gotten a letter from King Benjamin himself, in this letter he informed me of the recent developments that have uncovered a new organization involved in the attacks and the start of this world war four years ago. We are to confront this group and investigate what they are planning. Nobody shall attack unprovoked. We shall head to Geodia, there we'll gather information on the organization before confronting them." He announced before dismissing them back to taking down the makeshift base. "We shall make our way east and circle around Arcanian Mountain, heading north through the edge of demon territory, before getting to the Mineron Kingdom of Geodia." Ashdown explained to the troops as they finished packing up the wagons.

When they finished packing the wagons they headed east, skimming the edge of the enormous Arcanian Mountain, the largest mountain set in the center of the continent. They only got halfway across the mountain's back before the sun started to set, they stopped for the night and rested more, most of the army still exhausted from the Fierce Battle for Obsidian, but were glad to not have to deal with anymore enemies. They gathered around a campfire like they did all of their expedition, and ate their rations, this time Daniel waited until they all left except for Nina "Hey, can I talk to you Nina?" He asked non-enthusiastically, a sort of sad tone.