o2; optimism

He strolls through the busy corridors, coming shoulder to shoulder with many who passed him by. The silver-haired boy is gazing in and out of each classroom on the unknown part of the school. He clutches a piece of paper in his hand, constantly reading over the words on the page to ensure he's at the right place but to also avoid the many stares from older students.

It's not uncommon for the new additions of the school to wander around the older students classes, looking for old friends, siblings, or clubs to join. Having a club was one of the many 'tasks' for new high school students. It was an opportunity to meet make friends both in and out of class while also picking up a new hobby or skill.

The third classroom from the end of the hall is full of the ruckus of newly senior students greeting their friends once again after being separated from each other for the past few weeks. Hugs are being exchanged. Kisses of lovers greeting each other once again. It was an intimidating sight for the new student but he continuous on, pushes through and knocks lightly on the door. His pale knuckle barely made a noise over the sound of students but- thankfully for him- a tall senior girl notices him standing helplessly, still holding onto the piece of paper like his life depends on it.

Her short brown hair bounces as she walks up to him. A friendly smile sketches across her face as she looked up to the first year. "Hi, there! Is there someone you're looking for?"

The boy's eyes dart all over the class as he prepares himself to answer her, although he doesn't even know the face of the person he is looking for. "Um, yes. I'm looking for Tashiro-san the captain of the boys' volleyball team? I have my form here."

He holds out the piece of paper which now has small wrinkles on the edges from his tight grip. The unnamed third-year calls out to the class for the 'Tashiro' the first year has been searching for. A boy just slightly taller than Sugawara steps out of the crowd and towards the potential new club member.

"Ah, you must be one of our first years this year huh? I'm Tashiro Himedi, its nice to meet you..."

"O-oh it's Sugawara Koushi. I've got my form all filled out." Handing over the form to the captain he glances over it quickly. From what he can see the first year would be an excellent addition to the team. Hardworking. Confident. Reliable. Experience. Optimistic. Everything needed for a new volleyball player.

"This looks great Sugawara-kun. Tryouts are held after school tomorrow in the third gym so I'll see you then. I'll hand this over to the coach for you." Tashiro waves around the paper causing the first year to cringe slightly as it becomes more and more dishevelled. "Thank you very much Tashiro-san." With one last bow, the first year heads back out of the class, already preparing himself for tryouts tomorrow.

The chatter of girls around the table continue to fill her ears like a swarm of wasps flying around as she slowly chews on her food. 'What club would be the least challenging and draining?' is all she's asking right now.

However, most of the surrounding alien faces painted with pale creams, browns and blacks knew exactly what they wanted to do from the moment they stepped through the large school gates. Whether it was to catch the attention of boys, pick up a hobby, or to help them achieve their future goals, they have a great idea as to how they would be spending their high school years.

Kai Reiki is one of those girls. She wants to get a good job in the future to make her parents proud- something high class. The expectations are high and the last thing possible for her is to disappoint those she holds closest to her, although the only thing they truly crave is a perfect family image.

"So you really don't have a club you want to do for your first year (L/n)-San? I'm joining the literature club so you can come to that one with me for a while. My big brothers a third year now and he said that the literature teacher was pretty laid back. Might be a good starter club?" Kai says to her, speaking very proudly of her big brother despite the high examples he's left for her to follow.

(Y/n) take her right hand in her left to adjust the bandage covering her finger. "Yeah, that doesn't sound too bad. I'm just too lazy to do anything too crazy you know?" She manages to play it off with a giggle causing the plastics around her to laugh at her as well.

Kai speaks up once again once the laughter has died down bringing the attention backer to herself, "Well (L/n)-Chan! Since we're friends now, my brother would be sure to let you join!" (Y/n) looks up from her lunch with a tight-lipped smile, holding her chopsticks in one hand while the other fiddles with the hem of her school skirt. "That sounds great, thanks Kai-kun."

The grey-haired first-year returns to the classroom again and quickly make his way to his desk to eat his lunch before he bells rings. He doesn't mind eating lunch alone but with the large groups of people surrounding him, his heart rate seems to quicken.

Slightly calloused hands seem to become more sweaty as the noise increases causing his chopsticks to slip out of his hands at times while trying to eat his lunch. In an attempt to calm the nerves he pulls out his phone to absentmindedly scroll through various apps to make himself appear busy while he's just trying to calm the racing of his heart.

Before he can even finish half of his lunch the ringing of the school bell echoes throughout the room. Scraping of chairs can be heard once again as everyone re-organises the classroom as quickly as possible before the arrival of the next teacher. Sugawara only watches as his fellow students hurry around the classroom to put it back in its original state.

From across the class, he can notice the previously late girl who doesn't appear to be in as much of a rush as the others. Questions flow through his mind like the wind through the trees. Most of the people including himself were in class long before necessary either with excitement and anticipation or worry and fear. Perhaps she just doesn't care as much as the others or maybe she was just held back slightly for whatever reason.

A new face waltzes through the door a few minutes after the bell had finished ringing. Her lips are painted with pink and her leftover lunch can be seen stuck to them as she chews the apple in her hand as if she has all the time in the world. Her grey eyes are bored and glazed over as she glances around the class and takes in the fresh faces of the school year, mentally judging every single one of them. She notices that the boy at the front has an old worn bag and he girl next to him has unruly hair which sticks out in every direction. At the back is another girl who has way too much blush and her friend beside her has rice in her teeth.

Sighing she turns to the board and quickly writes her name as the chalk dust falls to the bottom, most of which gets caught in her long fake nails.

"My name is Watanabe-Sensei and I'll be your history teacher for the following year. Please hand out the textbooks at the back and we'll be looking at the Second Sino-Japanese War. Please keep up."