Amber & Sapphire

After the mission...

I sat upon the docks thinking about what a crazy couple of days it's been on that mission with Zuko. We were finally back at camp together. I was alone. I was thinking about my mother. I finally brought her peace. I miss her so dearly. But, I couldn't stop thinking about Zuko's eyes. It felt like he saw into me. He understood the pain and anger and all the complications I masked with a smile. He got me.

-

During Katara's time alone on the docks, Aang came running to her with sincerity, while Zuko was steadying behind.

"Hey Katara! I heard what you did.. or what you didn't do. I'm proud you chose forgiveness instead of revenge."

"I don't forgive him... but I am ready to forgive you"

Katara shoved pass Aang to give Zuko a great embrace. She finally forgave him.

-

I'm really happy Katara found it in her heart to forgive me. I did a lot of thinking. This mission wasn't about her trusting me... well it wasn't about that entirely. It just felt to needed that she deserved peace. She really did deserve it the most.

-

Hours later...

Katara and Zuko sat alone by the campfire while everyone went to go wash up for bed.

"Hey wanna go down to the docks? We haven't missed the sunset yet."

"Yeah, sure Katara.."

The two young benders walked down to the docks with Katara grabbing on the Zuko's wrist running down to the docks in hope of not missing the sunset.

"Oh thank god! We didn't miss it!"

"Sunsets really mean that much to you?"

"What do you mean? They're so gorgeous and guess what I love about them the most?"

"What do you love about them the most Katara?"

"They're my favorite color."

"I would've assumed your favorite color was blue"

"Well it was... but I changed it a couple days ago."

They sat upon each other and talked for a great while. Katara was truly happy and Zuko was even happier seeing her smile. They were amongst each other even after the sunset.

"Why'd you change your favorite color?"

"Because my new favorite color is so much more better"

"What is it?"

"Amber."

"Why?"

"It's just so beautiful and mesmerizing."

-

The young water bender said that as she quickly got up and left for bed since it had gotten late. Minutes passed with Zuko sitting there alone in his own peace just thinking about her favorite color.

Is it amber because of my eyes? I always hated my eye color. I knew deeply that when I was younger I didn't like my own element. Fire brings destruction if not careful. Air only brings wind of mishandled, rocks can't fly on their own, and water will just splash into you! I was always scared of my element. Fires burn and destroy while other elements are elements of life and won't get out of hand too easy. But, Katara made me feel so secure about the color of my eyes and what element brought out that color.