Chapter 4

"Where is everyone? They should have been here already" M grumbled as she paced back and forth in front of the stadium. She could go inside, but she did not know who was in there, especially with another school playing against them, and her social anxiety was already showing itself why she was waiting around for her friends to show up. And she also had no idea if seats were reserved or where the others wanted to sit.

The week passed by fast, Monday and Tuesday being the harder days for her. The talk with NamJoon from Monday left her in more pieces than his drunken slurring. But she did not let it show. She picked herself up on Tuesday with a no show in the group whatsoever, and she buried herself in books and projects. Ignorance was the best medicine for now, or at least, that was what her brain and heart decided upon after the chocolate chip mint ice cream she had on Monday night.

Taehyung immediately picked on her mood during classes, and although he wanted to ask, one look from M kept him quiet. But her no show on Tuesday prompted everyone to hunt her down in the evening. One tickle attack later, and she confessed everything to the girls, right before the guys showed up. It was an awkward evening, but Taehyung saved the moment and brought his UNO cards with him. As no one could pummel NamJoon down for real, they decided to beat him at cards and get their revenge that way. Enough to say, if that was poker, he would have owed his soul to the devils in the end. And the rest of the week passed by slowly, the girls being there for her, and Taehyung always making sure to make her laugh when in classes.

Jin was extra, and he gifted her tickets for a spa day and told her she could go alone or with the girls, her choice. He also said he could help her teach NamJoon a lesson on the down-low, and some freshmen from his club could help, and even winked for the effect. Of course, she knew it was a joke, to keep her laughing, but she appreciated the sentiment. So they spent one whole day doing dad jokes, to the chagrin of the rest of the group. But she was happy she had such a great group of friends. Even NamJoon tried being extra attentive, always going out of his way to ask her opinion or choice, without knowing why it was his fault. She felt guilty, knowing he blamed himself, but at the same time, she felt like he deserved to feel more pain and hurt. In the end, her guilt won, and she always smiled for all of them, especially for NamJoon. Why scare him away with her carousel of feelings?

And then Saturday rolled by. She woke up, not in the mood to drag herself out of bed. The girls did not let her sleep in, and dragged her to the spa, to make sure she is extra fresh for tonight. It felt like she was going on a blind date, and she laughed at herself. No one would be willing to accept her as a blind date, not the way she was, mentally or physically. She knew she was not in a good place mentally, due to her anxiety and the whole NamJoon problem dragging her self-confidence even more down. And while she did like how she looked before high-school ended, college crushed that like, when NamJoon and other guys, even girls, kept repeating how her looks weren't good enough for anything. Now, she was a wreck in that department as well, in her eyes.  And that thought spiraled into more depressive thoughts, and soon, she wanted to crawl back into bed with her ice cream. Of course, the girls dragged her away from the bed, and her mirror, and her bad thoughts, straight into a massage area. Needless to say, the entire experience was worth it, even though it hurt in the beginning.

'Bad thoughts, begone!' was her mantra the entire day, and M could happily say she was feeling extra preppy as she made her way to the game stadium. She was surprised the others were not there yet, and she texted them to see where they were. One message from NamJoon brought her entire mood halfway crashing down, and her heart sank into bad thoughts again.

'Wish you were here, M. Jin can not appreciate classical music like you'

'Why? Why?WHY?' her mind was stuck on repeat, eyes blurring as flashes of text kept illuminating on her phone. She read absentmindedly how NamJoon and Jin fought in the group chat, the girls sometimes replying to their banter. Just that little message was enough to send her spiraling into her head, fighting off the shadows she stuck in a corner since Monday.

But it all stopped the moment she felt something hit her foot. M stopped panicking that she would relapse into a bad mood and looked down. A water bottle rolled to her foot and she blinked at it. She did not remember carrying a water bottle with her. Without actually thinking about it, she crouched down, her fingers reaching for the bottle that was slowly rolling away from her foot after it hit it.

The moment her fingers touched the plastic bottle, a hand covered her own, and both hands froze. A pale hand was extended towards the bottle, long fingers covering the back of her hand. From her perspective, it looked like a pianist's fingers, and she tilted her neck, wondering if she knew any pianists from the Music department, before looking up to see who it was. A pair of brown eyes locked with hers, and they both stared. The boy looked small in build compared to her guy friends, but he was still taller than her. He was wearing a black headband and his black hair was falling over it, parted slightly off-center. She was not prepared for him to be this close to her, and she blinked rapidly, trying to fight off her embarrassment.

Grabbing the bottle, she turned her hand and raised the bottle to his hand, smiling at him.

"Sorry, did not see you reaching for the bottle as well." she said, her smile still in place, waiting for him to say or do something. He kept looking at her, and she wondered if there was something on her face. Her legs were cramping from crouching down like that, and she wanted to get up already.

"Thank you" his voice finally came out of his mouth, deep and low enough for her to hear him. He grabbed the bottle, his fingers holding onto her hand, and she wondered what he was up to, but the moment he got up, he made sure to grab her arm with his other hand and help her get up.

She felt awkward, but grateful at the same time, as her legs were slightly numb, even if she did not stay long like that.

"Haha, no, thank you" she laughed, trying hard not to do some stretching exercises to let the blood flow back in her legs. What she wasn't expecting was for him to smile at her, and she was taken back. His smile was barely noticeable, but it was there, and it somehow lit his entire face. She thought back to all those cat videos she watched, and almost awwed at the stranger in front of her. Somehow, his entire disposition made her associate him with a cat, and before she could say anything else, he nodded once at her as a salute before heading towards the entrance of the stadium.

And at that moment, she saw he was dressed in their college colors, the number three from his jersey glaring back at her. He was from their team, and she realized the game was about to start, and she was still outside.

"Fuck, where are my friends?" she swore and immediately took off to the entrance as well, anxiety being forgotten,  worry taking its place as she thought she would be late to the game. The moment she entered, she saw Taehyung direct Kiki and Lexy to some seats in the front row, and she knew he got them those seats to make it easier for them to cheer. Yet somehow, her eyes swept the entire room, looking around for a number three jersey to see if he was from their playing team, or just a random fan wearing a numbered jersey. Before she could find the guy though, Lexy immediately located her and dragged her to their seats, putting in her arms a cheering sign and telling her to follow their lead.

M laughed and decided to let her mind not thinking about anything, and got herself in the mood to watch the basketball game that was about to unfold, her phone lighting up in her pocket, group text messages forgotten. She had to cheer for her team to win, not to let her heart be taken down by a few lines which meant nothing. And that is what she did, and with the sound of whistleblowing to announce the start of the game, her entire attention was on the field.