Chapter 29

"Hey, Yoongi? Listen here, man. All those freshmen girls that came in to watch the practice are soooooo cute. Want me to introduce you to one of them?" one of the basketball players ran up to Yoongi, blabbering on about the new girls that just came to college.

It always happened like that. A new batch of freshmen, and suddenly, everyone could only talk about them. When he was a first-year, the same thing happened. Older girls giggling and asking for his number. Seniors trying to act all alpha to let him know it was their territory. And then he was a second year, and everyone talked about the new batch of people. No one interesting in his major and most of the newbies were either too involved in learning or partying. In his third year, the same thing happened, so he was not surprised that now that he was in his fourth year, the same thing was going to repeat itself. Now, more than ever, he wondered if anyone talked about M or her group of friends when they enrolled, or anyone approached him to talk about her. He could only wonder how she was in her first year, and if they even passed by each other during those days.

"Come on, man. Ever since you joined the team, we never saw you talk to a girl on your own, and no, Tae's girlfriend and friends do not count. They all have boyfriends" the guy continued, and Yoongi sighed.

"Nu-uh" Kookie interjected "M is single" he continued, looking offended that they just swept over her like that.

"Single my ass" the guy kept talking, not seeing how Kookie frowned as the conversation continued "She and that tall journalism dude are an item, and honestly, she could do so much better. I heard he keeps switching girls every few months or so. She is probably kept around to be played with. She should know better, really" the guy shrugged, not caring much besides throwing shade and gossiping.

Kookie felt like he was seeing red in front of his eyes, and he was about to grab the guy by the collar and shake him down until his brain settled back in its place. Yoongi placed a hand on his chest and shook his head, clearly telling him not to do anything drastic.

"Even if it were so, is it something you should trouble yourself with?" Yoongi asked, his eyes cold and unmoving from the guy, who felt a cold shiver go down his back.

"I was just saying, geez, calm down, dude. Not my fault that is what everyone keeps talking about, now they are saying she went for a freshman. That is why I keep saying you should do it too, Yoongi, it is...." but he never got to continue his sentence as Yoongi turned his back and started walking away.

"Not interested. Just a piece of advice." Yoongi said, looking over his shoulder at his teammate, same cold gaze in his eyes "Be careful what you say about whom. One day, it will come to bite you in the ass" and with that, he left the court, going for the changing room. He was tired, both physically and mentally. And he was worried.

During the summer vacation, he talked almost daily with M, and while their conversation was not long, it was a back and forth banter about their lives. He got to learn a lot about her, and they exchanged pictures of their favorite places in their cities, and information strangers outside their group, or even some people from the group, could never know. He felt he was getting closer to her, but somehow, he still felt pretty far away from her. It could have been his imagination, but it felt like she was keeping him at arm's length from reaching closer to her heart. He did understand why she was doing it. She was still hurt after the beach trip, still healing. He could only wish she would one day let him help her with the healing, even if it meant just bringing her a cup of tea daily until they could talk openly.

And now that they were back at college, he only saw her once, from afar, with another guy. Her expression confused him, and he felt rather uncomfortable seeing her laugh with that freshman and walk away with him. Ever since that day, he never saw even a glimpse of her or even the other guy. It frustrated him, and the rest of the group seemed just as restless as him. Not even Taehyung had any answers, and he was in the same class as her. The girls kept assuring everyone the gossips were not real, and M herself declared she was not dating the guy. But life was unpredictable, and Yoongi felt that her declaration could change at any time, and a pang of hurt surged through his body, starting from his heart. He knew he did not want that to happen.

"Hey, Yoongi" a woman's voice came from the entrance of the stadium, and he turned around slowly, fearing he was hallucinating. M was standing there, with a cup of coffee in her hand, offering it to him. "Long time no see." she said, and she smiled, waiting for him to take the coffee.

It felt rather like in a dream, as he reached for the cup in her hands, his fingers brushing over hers, and he felt rather anxious and excited at the same time.

"I drink my coffee black" was the first thing he said after he took a sip from the coffee she offered, frowning as the sugar hit his tongue.

"Oh...then why did you drink that latte I brought you at the library?" she asked, her head tilted to one side, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I did not want to make you feel like you should go get me another one." he said, shrugging, looking anywhere but at her.

"Ah, ok, noted for next time," she said with a chuckle, surprising him as she took the coffee from his hand "Well then, so as not to torture you, I shall drink this coffee" she continued, grinning, ready to do what she just said. Before her lips could touch the cup, on the same place he drank from, he felt rather pressed to stop her, and took the cup back from her, drinking it in one gulp, leaving M to look shocked at him. "Why did you do that now? It was too sugary for you" she exclaimed, looking at the empty cup in his hand before he discarded it in the trash.

"I never said I don't like sweet stuff" Yoongi replied, shrugging. "Also, I do remember you saying you do not like coffee that much"

"Ha, thank you, Yoongi, but I would not have died from drinking it" she laughed, walking faster to be in step with him. He could only watch as she tried to match his steps, smirking as he stepped bigger on purpose to see if she would follow. In the end, that earned him a pout as she stopped, clearly not able to follow his steps. "You're enjoying this, aren't you?" she asked, glaring at him.

"A tiny bit, yes" he admitted, and she sighed, shaking her head at him. She stepped next to him and it looked like she wanted to say something, stopping when another voice called for Yoongi.

He seemed rather annoyed, and confused as he did not recognize the voice, turning around to see his teammate point at the girl next to him, mouthing towards Yoongi to 'go for her'. He felt like facepalming on the spot, turning to M with an apologetic look, who only offered him a tiny smile.

"Yoongi-sunbae-nim. I saw you at the practice match. You were amazing." the girl said, admiration written all over her face, and M immediately tuned her out. Her voice was too high, she was holding her arms too close to her body, trying to emphasize her bust size, and she was leaning too close to Yoongi. M immediately figured out the girl was trying to make a move on Yoongi, and it seemed like his teammate was encouraging her behavior, as he signaled her to step away from Yoongi.

M was caught between doing what the guy was signaling her, and spoiling the girls' plans. Yet, her rational side took over and she turned to follow the teammate. It seemed like the best thing to do at the moment. But the moment she was about to step away from Yoongi's side, his fingers wrapped around her wrist, tugging on it gently, a silent signal not to move. Her heart felt heavy and in need of more oxygen, and she wondered if the autumn evening was warmer than how she felt just minutes before.

"Thank you, miss. Glad our team could impress you like that" Yoongi said, calm and serious, no emotion attached to his voice "Now, if you will excuse me, I am already engaged in a conversation and I would rather finish it before I could start a new one" he continued, waving at the girl who could only look at him with her mouth agape, before turning away from her, walking ahead, M's wrist still in his hand, leaving her no choice but to follow.

His teammate looked just as shocked as Yoongi practically rejected the girl who was trying to flirt with him, until a lightbulb exploded in his head, finally realizing what just happened. He could only apologize to the girl, before telling her his team was filled with hot, single guys, and he would introduce her to all of them as an apology. Letting the girl walk ahead of him, he turned to look one last time at Yoongi and M walking away from the stadium, seeing how Yoongi's hand slid down, holding onto M's hand, looking like they were a couple out for a walk, and he wondered if either of them realized that happened. In the end, he grinned, excited to have something to tease Yoongi about at the next practice, ready to let the other guys know about what just happened.