Chapter 35

"Hyung, what are you getting for Noona's birthday?" Jungkook asked Yoongi while looking at the costume display in the store they were in. He seemed stuck between the vampire outfit and the creepy monk holding a scythe costume, not noticing Yoongi freeze on the spot and look at him confusedly.

"What did you say?" Yoongi asked him, blinking as his hand was frozen on one of the masks he picked from the wall. He knew there was a Halloween-themed party that the entire group wanted to go to, and that is why he accepted to go shopping for a costume and go to the party, even though he did not want to be stuck in a large group for a long time. But this piece of information was new to him, so he had to wonder if Jungkook mispronounced something, or he had a new Noona.

"Didn't Taehyung tell you? M's birthday is this week and asked me to get her a gift as they will try to celebrate it on the day of the Halloween party. Noona knows nothing about it, she only thinks we are going to goof around in our costumes at the party, hehe" the youngest said, looking at other costumes and trying to imagine which would look scarier on him. "I have no idea what to get her, that is why I asked you. Maybe you have better ideas" he continued, not seeing the frown deepen on Yoongi's face.

"I...had no idea" he finally replied to the youngest of the group, and Jungkook turned to look at him, eyes wide in disbelief, looking shooked to the core. He kept staring at Yoongi, who kept staring at the mask he was holding like it would give him all the answers he needed.

"Oh" was the only sound Jungkook made, before turning back to the costumes, not knowing exactly what to tell Yoongi. He wanted to make him laugh, but his expression told him Yoongi was not in the mood for jokes. "Well, I am sure she would love no matter what you get her!" he finally said, smiling at the shorter man not far from him, trying to encourage him.

Yoongi said nothing and kept walking amongst the mask displays, not really in the mood to pick anything anymore. Jungkook could only look after him, wondering if that piece of information was meant to be hidden from Yoongi, or if Taehyung actually forgot to tell him. While keeping an eye on his shorter friend, he kept looking at costumes, masks, and accessories, before stopping at a stand, gasping. He grinned, picking the thing he found, immediately reaching for his wallet, knowing he found the perfect gift for his Noona, and that with this, she would never forget about him. With that thought in his head and Halloween costume forgotten, he went to pay for the gift, not wanting even Yoongi to see what he picked for his favorite person in their group.

He knew he was biased towards M, but he really liked her, as they did share quite a lot of hobbies in common. She was his favorite person in this world, his family ranking first of course. He was not a social person before entering college, and would always shy away from interactions or group activities, but after parting away from his hometown and started living in a new place, shared with other people, he came out of his shell quite a lot. And joining the basketball team was the best decision he ever made. Meeting Taehyung and Yoongi, and the rest of their friends was the greatest thing that could ever happen since finishing highschool. Neither of the girls tried flirting with him or objectifying his body for their pleasure, and M was always there to remind him that he does not need to force himself to always be social just for their sake. It was like she was his voice of reason, and when she did not play that role, she could be just as goofy or intense in the games they were playing. So, of course, he gravitated towards her and did not want to see her sad or hurt, making sure that his Noona would never lose the smile on her face. The small secret of his puppy crush he had on her before actually meeting her would never be revealed to anyone, especially after seeing how she and Yoongi got along so well. He could never want to get between them and cause more pain and misunderstandings. So, before letting the puppy crush grow into anything, he stepped aside and played the role of the younger brother perfectly. But now he knows, he could never want anyone who could not make him feel as safe and content as his noona. His standards have risen way too high for any of the types of girls NamJoon ever dated to have a chance with him.