Chapter 5

"GO!GO!BSU GO!"

The cheers were echoing in the stands, some people shouting louder than others, sometimes their voices mixing with the cheers from the rival team fans. The loudest was Lexy, her red, long hair tied in a ponytail, swinging her sign wildly every time the guys from her team got the ball. The other two girls looked at her amused, sometimes dodging her swings. Kiki would sometimes join her shouting sessions, fired up whenever the guys scored, and M could only laugh at the two, especially when they chanted Taehyung's name.

Most of the people were engrossed in the game, each cheering for people they know or for the numbers on the jerseys. So far, it was a close game for each team. One scored, the other stole the ball and scored for themselves. Neither wanted to relent. M knew no one on-court besides Taehyung, so whenever he had the ball, she joined her friends in chanting his name. He scored twice, and the other times he passed the ball to his other friends, helping with a score. The other team was either just as good, or were teasing the guys, but they seemed fierce enough when certain numbers had the ball in their hands.

M felt like drama would bloom whenever number three got the ball, and number seven played defense for him. The other team immediately went into attack mode, disregarding the other players. Enough to say, they got a few attacks in, sometimes tumbling the guys down. The crowd on either side looked confused as to why they went with direct attacks, and sometimes, the referee had to intervene before it got worse. Number three was the guy M met outside the stadium, and he seemed unbothered by their hostility, never responding with violence. On the other hand, M did not know number 7, but from the way the girls in the back screamed his name, he probably was one of the freshmen she heard people talk and pine for. She wondered if Lexy knew him, but with the way she was engrossed in yelling at the violent players, she knew she could not ask her now.

Number 7 was one of the taller people on the team, the same height as Taehyung. He had black hair, long enough to fall over his ears, and he wore a black bandana underneath it to keep it from reaching his eyes. His smile was mischievous every time he caught the ball and practically leaped across the court with it. He was one of the aces of the team, it seemed like, along with number three. Compared to number three, he was the tallest, but while he had strength and speed on his side, number three was more nimble, somehow managing to go through the enemy line without a hitch.

M was impressed the team got this good this year, as she did remember last year's games, and how they were eliminated from the first game. She did not go to the game, but from what Kiki told her, they were not well coordinated or had any strategy prepared. But this year, it seemed like between Taehyung, number three, and number seven, the team had a good chance of winning.

The last minutes of the game had everyone on the edge of their seats. Neither team wanted to give up, so both attacks and defense got stronger. But everyone could see how tired they all were. The attackers were not as fierce as before in bullying the players, but they still did everything they possibly could to stop them from getting the ball in their half of the court. It was a relentless attack and defense out there, running around while barely breathing enough to not faint. Everyone watched with bated breaths as the last minute of the game started its countdown, and the teams were tied. It was either team's victory. All they needed was just a lucky break.

And then it happened. Number seven broke through the defense of the rival team and tried for the basket. Everyone was standing now, watching in unison as the ball flew through the air, hitting the rim of the basket and bouncing away from it. Half of the stadium groaned and flopped back in their seats, while the other half cheered, somehow happy with the fact the rival team could not score. But before either person could realize that it was a miss, the score buzzer could be heard right before the timer hit the last five seconds. Everyone looked at the scoreboard, and they could see what the result was.

BSU basketball team scored at the last second possible. The players in the court were frozen, neither moving from their positions, still looking at the person who scored. Number three was still standing with his arms stretched after he shot the ball, breathing heavily, looking as the ball fell through the loop, bouncing off the ground a couple of times. And then the team screamed, jumping on top of him, and the half of the stadium which cheered for them screamed with them as well.

"BSU WON! WE WON" could be heard throughout the stadium, people cheering, some crying, others hugging their friends. It was a hard-fought victory, and both teams were great. They both worked and fought hard, and even a tie would have been just as good for both of them to advance in the games. The people started emptying the stands slowly, cheering and singing in happiness for the victory, while the other half of the stadium was torn between being sad or half-heartedly congratulating the winning team.

Lexy pulled the girls down to sit, telling them to wait and be patient. Kiki kept asking about some of the newer guys on the team she did not know, like number seven and number three. And Lexy was more than happy to impart some of the knowledge with them. Number seven was a freshman, as M guessed, and he was in Sociology, the same major as Lexy. She was a second-year, but she seemed to know enough about him, and she looked happy enough with the game results that she decided to start telling them about his life, always saying how he was single, glancing at M every time she said it. When it came to number three though, she only knew he was in Architecture and was a third-year. Even Taehyung could not get more from him, no matter how bright and social he was. But he was good at basketball, did anything else matter?

M chuckled every time Lexy started recalling how good Taehyung played, and how he even scored twice, which was a surprise with how good the defense of the rival team was. She could see how much Lexy cared about Taehyung, her eyes lighting up every time she even thought about him. Kiki patted her back to bring her back to reality, a knowing look in her eyes as well, and before either could realize what was happening, a commotion started breaking out on the court.

Time seemed to slow down as Taehyung's voice rang through the almost empty stadium, shouting for them to watch out, and by the time the girls turned around to investigate what was happening, M could only see a ball flying towards her at high speed. Her brain seemed to have frozen, but her body still acted on instinct, raising her hands in front of her face in the nick of time. The rubber ball impacted her hands at high velocity and strength like someone threw it out of spite straight at her, and no matter how tensed she was, the ball pushed her hands into her face.

M could only groan as the impact pushed her into her chair, her fingers flexing to keep most of the impact away from her face. She tasted blood before she even saw it, her lips stinging and she realized she bit her bottom lip as the ball hit her when she gasped. And as the ball fell, she felt the rest of the face heating up, the pain slowly traveling up from her lip. The moment she let her hands fall, the two girls next to her gasped as blood pooled down her lips to trickle to her chin. Her hands hurt like hell, and she did not know if it was because of how hard the ball hit her, or if she twisted a finger or something.

"OMG, M, your face!" Lexy shouted, and before she could ask them anything, they heard Taehyung scream at someone, pushing a person and rushing towards the stands, the teammates that were with him rushing to his sides. Before she could see who was where or ask them why a ball came flying towards her face, M felt dizzy and saw Taehyung running in a glitch towards her, and then everything went black just as someone's hand broke through her field of vision.