Chapter 38

"Well, well, if it isn't the ghost of the cheating husband I killed" came in a sing-song voice from behind NamJoon. He recognized the voice, the teasing tone added to it making him shake his head. M always teased him after the play, calling him a ghost whenever he seemed to try and stray from her path.

It wasn't like he did not want to talk to her anymore, but he still felt awkward about everything that happened. Even now that she tried her hardest to get him to return to his ways from before everything was spilled. Well, not exactly all the way or a certain basketball player would make sure more than one ball would fly directly to his face.

"You know, you should stop avoiding me when not in a group, NamJoon. Were a slap and a stab not enough for those toxic ties to be cut away from our friendship?" she continued, not letting him add anything. He looked at his friend and he could tell from the serious expression on her face that she meant business, even if she tried joking about the situation.

"I...I just feel a bit awkward about everything. And well, maybe I am scared you might change your mind and actually pull a real knife out on me" he added, joking as he was reaching for something in the store that caught his eye. He did not notice the frown appearing on M's face, but he did feel the light punch she delivered to his shoulder.

"Well, stop it. We are friends still. Yes, you might have a lot of work to do to atone for all those shitty words you threw at me while drunk, but there is always a start. And you can start by buying me lunch" she said, with a grin, already picking something she liked from the stands.

NamJoon could only look after M as she walked around the store, picking something to eat and drink, before coming back to his side, presenting him with the basket of goodies she picked. He knew he lost to her logic, and just got out his wallet to pay for everything she picked. Before he could actually pay for the stuff she had, she sighed and stopped him, paying for everything herself.

"Nope, not letting you. My best friend would try to bargain with me about paying only half or only chosen products of his taste, not just give up like that and pay it before going through a half-hour argument about who should pay and why. I am not forcing you to be like that NamJoon, but I don't want to see you bend against your will just to make sure you don't make me sad again." M stopped talking, sighing as she looked at the bag of items in her hand. "Take your time to find yourself in this new friendship of ours, NamJoon. We might not be the same as before, but I still want both of us to be comfortable with each other, ok?" she finished with a smile, before turning to exit the store.

Left behind, NamJoon could only stare after her retreating back, and after years of knowing her, he realized this was the first time she left him like that. In the past, it was always him who left first, who turned away from her so many times without a thought about how she was left there to look at him leaving with someone or for someone. At that moment, he realized that while their status of best friends would take a long while to recover, all these firsts as friends in recovery would help him mature as a person as well. Smiling, he paid for his own items, leaving the store more relaxed than when he noticed that M was in the same place as him. He could only promise himself that he would take small steps, one by one, to be that best friend that M deserved, and next time he would see her, he thought about learning some dad jokes to surprise her, and show her at the same time he was all for change, not only in himself but with the ones around him as well.

M, on the other hand, left the store happily, ticking off everything on her list. She made NamJoon realize how awkward he was behaving towards her, bought the snacks and drinks she wanted, had a good night's sleep, and all the afternoon was free even though it was a school day. And it was Friday, meaning Saturday and Sunday she could sleep in, relax and spend time with her friends and boyfriend. The blush spread through her cheeks at the mention of the word boyfriend, even if it was in her mind. She still did not process the fact that Yoongi was actually her boyfriend, even though a week has passed since then. Her friends' teasing did not help either, always asking about dates and their weekend plans, all the time grinning and winking at her. Luckily for her, they barely had the time to meet during the week, as their classes were at different hours, or he would have to see all the shades of red she turned from their comments.