Chapter 3

Eating a plastic of chips on the sofa of my studio apartment wasn't what I had in my agenda today

Eating a plastic of chips on the sofa of my studio apartment wasn't what I had in my agenda today. After what Boss said though, I felt like I needed to celebrate and give myself a treat. Hence here I am, sitting on the sofa with chips in hand and watching a random show on my rather old television. Lee Minho, who has the record of turning down everything, accepted my idea.

"Yes, Mr. Lee?" I tried my best not to stutter in front of him. Stumbling on my words in a one-on-one conversation is something I do not want happening with Mr. Lee.

"You and I will be working together." He said looking down at a folder, flipping it open.

"What?" I asked, believing I heard him wrong.

"We'll be working together, Miss Kim." He said and looked at me. "I don't like repeating myself."

I gulped and nodded frantically.

"You will be the manager for the show, since you were the one to propose the idea." He said as he started walking around the room. "Secretary Park will be taking her leave soon, seeing as she recently got married. You will also temporarily be my assistant as you're working in coordination with me."

Secretary Park will take a leave?!

I looked at her and it turned out she was looking at me too, making eye contact. She sent me a warm smile like she knew what I was thinking. I looked away and scratched my nape, then put two fingers on my neck to check my pulse. I'm surprised I'm still alive and standing here. The air is suffocating enough where I thought I was getting strangled.

"May I ask," I started lowly. He looked my way and raised an eyebrow. "How long is Miss Park going on leave?" I asked him, like the secretary wasn't in the room.

Mr. Lee looked back down at the folder in his hands. He raised his hand toward the said woman, motioning for her to answer my question. "Two months or so." She said with a smile, her hands intertwined and placed in front of her figure. I nodded in response.

"You're going to start working with me tomorrow. You may go now." He said as he put down the folder on the table.

I bowed and left the room, letting out a breathy exhale before going back to my work station.

I turned the television off and sealed the chip package, putting it back in the cupboard. I always have to remember to minimize food consumption. After all, it isn't easy to live in a state like this and a job that pays well but still isn't enough for my debts. I will never forget the faces of the sharks who come here every week to charge me. It gets me sweating nervous every time.

I made my way to the bed and crash landed on the soft-enough mattress. My hand patting the bed as I tried to feel the phone I left on it. Picking up my phone, I unlocked it and faced the old model of my iPhone 5s. Connecting to the neighbor's internet, with their knowledge, I watched videos until I fell asleep.