xvii

4:42 p

4:42 p.m. pacific daylight time

"and why am i not allowed to walk here?"

it wasn't like sou was complaining—having sen drive him around the grand city of los angeles feels like having a personal drive. he was never one to like driving—his driver's license died a few years ago and he decided to just leave it be. it's not like he has a car anyway.

sou probably forgot how to operate a working car, and no, you may not laugh.

"it's a thirty minute drive, it would take you forever to walk," sen stepped on the gas as the traffic lights turned green.

"okay," sou paused. "what about uber?"

"yeah," he made a turn with the car. "i'm planning to make you go everywhere with uber once you've memorized the city."

sou furrowed his eyebrows, "aren't you like. . . overreacting?"

sen scoffed, "l.a. isn't tokyo, sou."

he raised both hands, "you know more than me." he looked out the window, towering buildings all around them, "everything looks the same here."

"that's the point," his brother chuckled. "but you've been paying attention, right? i'm not picking you up."

"whatever," sou, with his backpack on his lap, leaned forward to study the apartment complexes they were passing. "damn, i should've brought my glasses."

the car slowed down, "i think it's that one." he pointed on a building and sou compared the building to the one in the google maps link corpse had sent him.

"yeah!" he looked up from his phone screen, "i think so, too. pull over, pull over."

sen did what he was told and sou could barely contain his excitement, his toes were wriggling inside of his shoes, as he stared at the entrance of the complex.

"breathe in," sen pulled on the handbrake. he watched sou for a moment. "what are you going to do, again?"

sou whipped his head at sen's direction, eyes slanting, "hang out."

"no shit," he snickered. "you're sure that he isn't catfishing you, right?"

"mhm," sou nodded. "just because we've never met in real life, doesn't mean we're not friends."

"that's not what i'm saying," sen sighed, leaning on the driver's seat.

sou started at him, his grip on his backpack tightening.