The Game Is Afoot!

"Professor McGonagall!"

Footsteps carried themselves across the room.

"Professor! Professor McGonagall!"

Red ties swung back and forth as they raced themselves to catch their breath.

"We have to see Professor Dumbledore! Immediately!"

The elder witch frowned at the her frantic students, they were obviously rushed but sadly she couldn't do much for them.

"Professor Dumbledore has been called in by the ministry. Whatever you need to discuss with him, will have to wait until his return I'm afraid."

Panic rose throughout their faces.
"Professor please! It's about the Sorcerer's Stone! Someone's going to steal it!"

Shock filled the witch's body, how did they know about the stone?!

She sterned her expression, choosing to calm their troubles firmly.
"I don't know how you've come about with this information, but I can assure you, the stone is safe."

She would need to talked with them later. How would three students, first years at that, learn of the stone's existence let alone it's current location?!
"Now. Go back to your dorm."

But now wasn't the time.

        ———————————————

"Oh no-what are we going to do Harry?! If Snape is going after the stone tonight, none of the teachers will be able to catch him!"

"No one believes us mate!"

"-Then we'll go ourselves."

The young boy's friends paused, their faces twisting as if he stated that 1 + 1 was indeed 5.

"Harry........are you guys insane?!"
"Harry we can't! Surely?!"

The ebony haired boy shook his head, "Look-I'm not telling you to come with me, in fact I encourage you to wait here incase something happens!-but I'm not going to wait here while I could do something about it!"

Not when his parents would've done something about it....

The brunette and redhead went grim.

"Alright Harry. We understand-but we're not letting you go alone either!"

The boy who lived smiled, feeling the warmest he's been in a long time.
"Ok....I think I could manage that."

"You're not planning on sneaking out again are you?"

Their heads flew up.

Neville?

         ———————————————

John ducked his head around the pillar, a passing teacher examining the halls.

Shit that was close.

In a knelt down fashion, he dashed towards the closest staircase.

He always thought of these to being kind cool-but also very inconvenient.

Who designed these?!
John had lost count of how many times he's seen a straggler of a student be separated from their herd and have to wait for he moving pieces to come full circle just to continue their path!

But hopefully John could use them today, because tonight was as good as any night to check out that third floor he's heard about.

In his experience-
where else would it be?

He sat on the top steps, avoiding the sight of passing hall monitors and sleeping paintings.

If he remembers correctly it should be....here!

Not waiting for the staircase to even stop completely, he sprang up and down the short hallway to the infamous large door.

The blonde breathed in and out deep, mentally preparing himself for anything beyond that point.

With steeled nerves, he gripped the handles tightly a pulled slowly-

-he blinked as he heard the soft instrumental of a harp.

And the louder sound of snoring.

"...........oh bullocks."

He stilled his every movement at the sleeping beast before him, not wanting to risk any chance of waking it.

What the fuck was a Cerberus doing here?!

He swallowed thickly as he noticed a trapdoor of some sort not far from it.

Shit.

He was going to have to get close to the damned thing wasn't he?

Bullocks.

With all the gracefulness he could manage, he managed one quite step after another further.

-Put one foot in front of the other~
And soon you'll be walking 'cross the floo-or-or!~
Put one foot in front of the other~
And soon you'll be walking out the door!~
That's one foot in front on the other-
Dammit John this wasn't the time!
(Bonus points to whoever gets the reference!)

Glancing at the three head monstrosity, he pulled up the wooded door-and leapt down.

The door reopened slowly, the shuffling of feet following.

"Bloody hell-Snape already got here!"

"Ronald! Shh!"

"Come on! We have to catch up-through the trap door!"

Hellooooooo!

Sorry about the wait.
Again.
Todays chapter is a bit short but I've been a busy little bee with upcoming ideas for future books, hmwk that needed to be completed and the holidays that are slowly creepin up.
I would've uploaded Tuesday but I was spending time with my family for my birthday.
Don't worry though, we are in the final stretches and I'm pretty excited at the idea of a finished book!
Anyways- Happy Thanksgiving!