00 || Prologue

On a night where the moon hide herself from the mortal's eyes, a woman yelled in pain as she tried to bring to the world, what many hoped would be the next heir to the throne.

The Pharaoh had two daughters already, and the people were anxious to have a male heir to succeed the Pharaoh in ruling over Hathour. Many prayed to Isis, mother of Egypt, and Bes, goddess of childbirth, for a healthy baby. Others, jealous ones, prayed that the child be born a girl, or a still born. They all wanted to be the one, to give the Pharaoh his male heir and become the most powerful woman in the land.

And yet fate had other plans.

The child was born in darkness, when there was no light in the sky. Many saw it has an omen of death, for a child to be born when there is no light, means she will absorb his darkness and will be born evil. She was favoured by Set, God of chaos and evil.

The child born was a Princess.

When the Pharaoh was informed, although disappointed, for he had no male heir, he welcomed his child into the world and proclaimed it as his daughter, third princess of Hathour.

He named her Layla, "the one who was born at night".

As she grew, her beauty grew with her. Her brown rich curls and amber eyes, inspired many tales and songs, but it was her personality that made her a favourite among her father. It was no secret that the Pharaoh favoured her among her sisters. She was kind and polite, and yet very astute and determinate. He was often seen with Layla, playing board games, and going on walks together.

Of all his daughters, Layla was the one that showed more interest in the aspects of the throne, and the politics of the kingdom. If she were not a girl, some would think the Pharaoh was grooming her for succeeding him to the throne. A ridiculous notion, really.

One day, on the 10th birthday of Princess Layla, a seer was invited to the palace. It was rumoured that she talked to the Gods of Fate, and was able to tell a person her future. Nobody knew what the seer told the young princess, but rumour has it that she was told that she would ignite a flame, that not even the gods would be able to extinguish. Many took that as another omen of death. This girl who was born in the dark night, and would ignite a flame that not even the Gods could extinguish? Surely she would bring death to the land.

Many took caution and observed the princess from afar, as time went by, the Princess only turned more beautiful and kind. She was kind and fair instead of abusive like so many of her sisters. She treated her people well, and never once was she seen abusing the power she held as a princess to others. Soon nobody remembered the tale told by the seer, and she was loved by the citizens of Hathour almost as much as her father the Pharaoh.

That, right there, was the beginning of the end for her.

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE