Chapter 3: A New Colleague

Erika Raffaella Santucci, the Press Officer of Toro Rosso, which would become AlphaTauri in 2020 season, moved to Scuderia Ferrari to replace Silvia Frangipane who resigned because of personal reasons.

Was she happy with her move? Not really. When she thought that she became a Ferrari member so that she could work with Sebastian Vettel, the man himself would leave the team at the end of the season. Even if there was only one year, she wouldn't waste the opportunity to get closer to him. She would make him attracted to her.

On Friday, a day before Ferrari team members had a flight to Melbourne for the first race of the season, they were still at the headquarters. Erika knew that Seb would be there as well.

She was in her office room. She was organizing the schedules for the Australian GP weekend. She also received several calls from the media who were going to attend the team's press conference on Thursday.

She knew that the following week would be extremely hectic. The parting of the Italian team and the German driver would be announced before the driver's press conference.

"Ferrari, why do you let him go?" Erika mumbled to herself.

She got up from her chair as she needed some fresh air outside the room. She also needed to go to the toilet which wasn't too far from her office room. When she was walking in the corridor, she found out that Seb was walking into her direction. She felt that it would be a great opportunity to talk to him.

As he was getting closer, she greeted him. "Hi, Seb."

He smiled when he recognized the woman who had greeted him. "Hi, Erika."

"Seb, erm, I'm sorry but... I've heard the news that you're going to leave the team next year."

He shrugged. "Yeah, you're right. We talked last Monday."

Erika understood that Seb was still very disappointed with the decision. "I still don't understand why they've taken this decision. You deserve more chances in this team."

"I don't fully understand either, but I can accept it."

She hoped that she didn't have a multi-year contract in Ferrari so she could follow him wherever he moved to. "So what's your next plan, Seb? I'm pretty sure that you still want to race in Formula 1."

"I don't want to think about that just yet. It's still too early for me to decide. Now I just want to do my best to finally get the title with this team," he smiled miserably.

Erika rubbed Seb's upper arm which was covered with his Ferrari softshell jacket. "I, erm I mean, we are really sad with your departure. I know that I've just started working here but you know that I worked for your former team. I heard from them that you are a super talented driver with great humility. And I've witnessed it as well. We may work for one season only, but I hope that we can work well together."

He honestly felt a little uncomfortable when someone whom he hadn't been familiar with showed some gestures like touching him, especially if that was a woman who did it.

"I hope so. And good luck for your first year with us." Thankfully, Seb had a reason to end their conversation. "Sorry, Erika, but Steven and Calum are waiting for me."

"Ah, okay."

Erika was staring at Seb who started leaving her. It seemed like he didn't want to talk much, but she could understand it. But she would make sure that she would always show him the support that he needed at the moment, so that he would be touched with that.

---

Seb looked at the watch that he wore. "Guys, it's time for lunch, I think."

"Okay, Seb," Steven agreed. He tidied up the papers of important data that was related to Albert Park circuit. "Let's go."

Seb, Steven, and Calum left the room as they were about to have lunch at the canteen. On their way, they still talked about their preparation for the Australian GP. They brought their foods and drinks to the table. The canteen itself was full of the team members who were also having lunch.

"Seb, I still can't believe with the decision that the team has taken. You deserve more chance here," Steven told Seb after he learnt the news that he would be leaving the team.

He shrugged. "Me neither, but it is what it is. I'm not the one who decides. So, let's just move on from that."

"It's a shame that it will be my first and only year to be a part of your team, Seb, although I've been here for some years," Calum complained.

Seb just smiled miserably. Being a Ferrari driver had always been his dream since he was child. He still remembered very well when he was offered a contract by the Italian team in 2014. He was really wanted by them.

He woke up from his reverie when a woman walked past them. And she also greet them. "Hi, all!"

"Hi, Erika!" Calum and Steven greeted her back, while Seb just smiled a little.

She sat with another female employees. Her eyes couldn't stop staring at Seb. When he glanced at her, she quickly showed her smile. He didn't know why but he felt that she was flirting with him. He needed to finish his lunch as quickly as possible, so that he could go back to the simulator room.

Both Steven and Calum were astonished with how Seb quickly finished his food. They looked at each other and shrugged. After finished, the three of them left the canteen as they needed to go back to the simulator room. Seb walked first and they were following behind.

Erika thought that he would greet her before he left, but she was wrong. She wanted to grumble, but remembering that she wasn't alone, she tried not to piss off in front of them.

When the three of them had entered the room, Seb asked Steven and Calum, "Sorry, guys, I want to talk something first." As he saw them nod, he continued, "It's about Erika. Have you been familiar with her?"

"Not really. Yeah, we talked on some occassions, but I haven't known much about her," Steven said. "What about you, Calum?"

"I just greet each other when we accidentally meet," Calum explained. He was actually a shy person, so he couldn't do much talks with someone whom he hadn't known much.

"Why do you ask us about her?" Steven asked Seb.

"No, it's just that... I feel that she likes to stare at me. I don't know much about her either. But... I don't know. It's hard to explain."

"Maybe she likes you, Seb?" Steven teased him, while Calum just laughed a little.

"I don't know. She isn't my type, anyway. I just don't feel comfortable if someone, especially a woman, whom I haven't known much touching and staring at me like that."

"Touching?"

"Yes. This morning, before I came here, I accidentally met her. She said that she was sad with me leaving the team at the end of this season. Besides, this season is gonna be the only season where she works with me in the same team. When she talked about it, she touched and rubbed my upper arm as if she wanted to comfort me."

"She's a little bit aggressive, I guess," Steven chuckled. "But I agree with you, Seb. I don't think anyone feel comfortable when someone you don't really know giving you some gestures like that."

"Shame that Silvia left. I mean, I worked well with her in the last few years. She respected me and our respective positions here."

Calum agreed. "Silvia is a nice person, for sure, and also very mature. Let's just see how Erika is going to behave here."

"Steven, Calum, I don't want to sound overconfident, but if someday she asks you about me, I think that you understand which one is a private matter and which one is not. And you can tell me afterwards."

Both Steven and Calum nodded. Although they didn't entirely know what type of woman that Seb liked, but they understood that Erika at the moment, if not forever, wasn't included into his criteria. Besides, they also understood how private their driver was.