Chapter 12: Six?

Everyone jumped away from me as I collapsed on the floor. Everyone except him. He crouched in front of me as I looked at him, stunned as I saw the face of the only boy I had ever loved. Tears overflowed and fell in a steady stream down my cheeks. He took my face in his hands as he wiped my tears away with the pad of his thumb. I couldn't believe it. I don't know how I got the strength to do what I did but I pushed him away from me and ran out of the cafeteria. I ran out of the school and ran past the gates, tears blurring my eyes. He wasn't alive. I knew that. I left him bleeding out on the floor, unable to move as I ran to protect his brother. I attended his funeral. How the hell was he alive?!

I fell to my knees right there on the sidewalk, my breathing out of control, my throat closing up and all my emotions running haywire. In short, my brain was short circuiting. I felt someone kneel before me. The emerald coloured eyes cut through the haze in my mind as he stared into my eyes. He placed my hand on his chest and I started matching my breaths to his heartbeat. It took some time but I calmed down. He was still looking concerned and utterly terrified but I couldn't do this. This couldn't be him. This could not be Liam.

"Six? Are you okay?" He asked, frantically scanning my face for some sign that I was alright. Six. Only he called me that. But there was no way he was alive.

"Who are you?" I croaked out and his face fell. "And don't say Liam because Liam is dead." I warned him and his eyes cleared of confusion and were replaced with pain.

"Six, we need to talk." He replied solemnly and stood up, offering me a hand. I looked at it uneasily but I took it and let him pull me to my feet. 

"Don't call me that. You're not him. Only he can call me that." I replied bitterly and his face fell before filling with hope.

"If I prove to you I am Liam, will you believe me?" He asked me and I hesitated. Would I?

I looked at him dead in the eye and replied, "Yes."

He looked shocked for a second before his stance became determined. He nodded and started leading me away. I whipped out my phone and sent Aiden a message before turning off my phone. I was capable of defending myself.

He led me to his car. It was a nondescript Honda Accord and he opened the passenger door for me. I slid into the seat and buckled in, not looking at him at all. He glanced at me from time to time as he drove to god knows where. I started fiddling with the necklace and he glanced down at it and a ecstatic smile spread across his face as he saw that I was wearing that necklace. The one that Liam gave me just before we started the plan that got him killed. At least that's what I believe.

He parked in a almost empty parking lot and got out, gesturing for me to stay inside. I raised an eyebrow as he came over to my side and opened the door, acting like a perfect gentleman. I almost smiled before I shut down my emotions and got out and followed him to the shop he had parked beside. I looked up and saw the sign and sighed. Ice cream. Just what I needed.

He smirked at my expression and we both entered the shop together. The cashier looked up almost immediately and we gave him a smile as I looked through the options, knowing exactly what I wanted but wanting to test Mr.IAmYourDeadFriend. He just rolled his eyes and ordered for both of us without even glancing at the display, getting the order perfectly right. I was shocked. I was now more inclined to believe what he said because not even Aiden got my order exactly right and he had lived with me for 15 years.

He handed me the chocolate cone and we headed to a secluded booth. He sat down in front of me and ran his hand through his hair like he always did when he was nervous.

"Where do I start?" He asked me, gauging my reaction.

"How about the fact that you are alive?" I asked him in a harsh tone.

He winced slightly at my tone and gave me a sheepish look.

"I'm sorry." He blurted out. I looked into his eyes. I could see only pain and sorrow there.

"Why?" I asked him after a pause and he winced.

"When I forced you to leave me, I was sure that I was going to die and I became unconscious. But someone came in while I was passed out and somehow, I was taken to the hospital and I was in a coma for most of the year. When I finally came to, they refused to give me any information about the person who brought me in." He sighed and dragged a hand down his face, suddenly looking exhausted.

I wanted to reach out and comfort him so bad but I restrained myself, instead folding my hands and leaned ahead and he looked up with a little hope.

"I tried to find out but I hit a dead end every time. Then I gave up and managed to get home, getting rides from people that took pity on me. I got home and explained everything to my parents who were so shocked to see me that dad had a heart attack." My jaw dropped open in shock and he saw the look on my face and hurried to assure me. "He's fine now. But I found out about...Logan."

The air left my lungs in I had a little trouble breathing and he looked up as the blood drained from my face. 

"I-I am-m s-sorry. I couldn't s-save him. E-even after I-I promised you." I stuttered out, my eyes filling with tears as I fiddled with my fingers and he looked horrified.

"No. No, It was not your fault. You couldn't have prevented something like that. I don't blame you, six. I never blamed you." He reassures me and takes both my hands in his and kisses it and for the first time I felt the guilt lift a little.

"How's he doing now?" I asked quietly. Liam instantly understood who I was talking about.

"Levi is fine, six. He doesn't blame you either." He reassured me but I still felt the crushing guilt.

"Do you believe me now?" He asked me, his eyes lighting up with hope and I bit my lip. I almost believed him. I just needed to ask him one last question.

"What were the star and constellation you were talking about just before the first time we kissed?" I asked him. He was the only one who would know the answer to the question. We were alone when that happened and we had never told anyone about that particular memory either.

"Proxima Centauri and the Big Dipper." He answered immediately, not even missing a beat. I sucked in a shocked breath. It was him. It was Liam.

It was my Liam.

I'm sorry for the cliffy. Thanks for all the votes and the support.

Comment, Vote and Share the story if you liked it?