EIGHT

warnings: mentions of suicide, child abduction

Reid's POV:

Reid wakes up to his alarm, the excruciating noise jolting him up lightly. He looks down to see Y/N still wrapped in his arms, not bothered by the alarm that bounced off of the walls.

He unwraps his arms carefully from her body and shifts to turn off the alarm. As soon as he moves, Y/N begins to move beside him.

He turns his alarm off and turns Y/N's lamp on, returning back to the position he was in before. He gazes at Y/N, a smile pulling at his lips as he takes in her morning face. She looks beautiful. If he were to tell someone about the terror she faced last night, no one would believe him.

"I don't want to go to work," she says.

"You can always call off, y'know. She'll understand," he replies.

Her face turns down into a frown, disagreement filling its edges. She won't tell Prentiss about what she had planned on doing, she was only going to involve Reid in the situation. He would regularly be thankful that someone is putting all of their trust into him, but in this case, he wants her to tell another member of the team- for support.

"No, I need to go to work," she defies. She sits up in bed and begins to rub her eyes, yawning in the process.

Reid removes the covers from his body and gets up, the clothes from the night before still on his body. He doesn't have work clothes, so he has to stop by his apartment, making them late to work.

He gently rubs his eyes and walks towards the door, the coldness of the knob buzzing his fingers. He opens the door and walks into the kitchen, the sudden image of Y/N laying in the corner crawling into his mind. He tries blinking away the image, but it stays behind his eyelids every time he closes his eyes.

Y/N brushes past him and enters the kitchen, her feet bouncing as she walks around to the fridge. She smiles enthusiastically as she closes the door. She was practicing before she faced the team. He can tell.

He can tell because he's done the same exact thing thousands of times before.

He continues his steps forward, his body now inches away from hers. She looks up at him with the same smile plastered on her face. It fades away though, switching into a nervous expression.

"What?"

He gazes into her eyes, watching as her dark pupils dilate. She bites her lip anxiously as he towers over her, her body slightly trembling. He grabs her hands and grips them tightly.

"I want you to feel safe," he whispers. He leans his face in closer to hers, so close he can hear her heavy breathing.

Reid never realizes how nervous he makes Y/N. He  believes he pushes her buttons- which he does- but as he grows closer to her physically and emotionally, he begins to notice her changes in movement and the sudden silence she emits when he nears her.