NINE

warnings: mentions of molestation, drug and substance abuse, vomiting

You stand across from Prentiss who is next to Mr.Jacobs. He looks...nervous, as though he has something to hide. And you know he does- you're sure of it.

"Mr. Jacobs, have a seat," Prentiss says sternly.

He takes a quick pause before taking a seat, a nerve-racking expression taking over his face as he looks towards you and Emily.

"Did," Prentiss pauses. "Uh, Jeremy and Katie spend a lot of time together?"

Mr. Jacobs turns his body to face Prentiss. "Our families spend a lot of time together. He likes his cousin."

"Does that make you jealous?"

His face stays pallid but his voice lowers, almost as though he's offended. "What? Why would it?"

You look down at him and so does Prentiss. You flick your eyes to Prentiss and she takes the gold necklace from her pocket and places it on the table in front of Mr.Jacobs.

He glances at the necklace and his adam's apple bobs in his throat. Nervousness. He tries not to look at the jewelry, but the guilt drains the color from his face.

"We found that in the trash," you say in a soft voice. You cross your arms over one another. "How is it that you know your 6-year-old niece likes to read books and play dress-up, but you don't know the first thing about your own son?" 

"Typically molesters only pay attention to the children that they're grooming, ignoring even their own," she rotates around the table and places her hands on the edge.

"Katie wore that necklace" you cease. "Because you told her to, because you told her she was special. As if the sexual abuse wasn't enough."

You glare at the man in front of you, every word leaving your mouth with a hint of disgust. He's cracking after every sentence that brushes past both of your lips. The sight of him crumbling is lovely.

"Is that when it started?" She queries.

"When what started?"

"When you gave Katie the necklace, when she started wetting the bed, when her parents came to you and Susan wondering why their daughter locked herself in her room," she lists. "Was that when it started? Is that when the molestation started?" she raises her voice an octave.

Mr. Jacob stands, beginning to step back. "This is ridiculous," he exclaims.

"You couldn't help yourself, could you?"

"You're crazy!"

Prentiss follows Mr.Jacobs as he backs away. "Like so many little girls before."

"I-I wanna get out of here-"

"You started spending more time with her and telling her she was special."

He throws his hands up in exasperation. "I'm not listening to you."