A Storm To Be

"I don't know what you want me to do. I tried being mean and scaring her away. She just ignored me. I don't know why she is trying to help me and I can't get her to stop."
"Hmm."
"What am I suppose to do, kill her? I can't. She's my friend. On top of that, you saw what she did to that guy of yours. She used his whole body to form a message for you. The body wasn't even a body anymore, he was only alive because of the magic she provided."
"And I couldn't put him out of his misery. The magic had to wear off. That woman is psychotic. He screamed non-stop until the end."
"I... know. All this to get me to act normal."
"Hmm."
"What?"
"Thinking. I'll call you back."
Dammit. Why is She doing this to me?
"Elmo. Son, what's the matter?"
"I don't want to talk about it, Dad."
"I mean if you did, who would stop you?"
"They would."
"How would they know?"
"Cameras."
"Where? Abby took care of the three on our house and removed all mics and recorders from our walls... son, you can talk to me."
"I just don't want anyone to get hurt, Dad. I've caused so much grief for people and now Abby, for whatever reason, just killed a bunch of men."
"We actually got a call from Belinda."
"Abby's mom?"
"Mhmm."
"What did she say?"
"Abby is being put on fairy trial. She'll be gone for the next couple of weeks. Years if she can't justify doing what she did."
"Oh no. This is all my fault."
"What she did was pretty gruesome, but ya have ta understand, son. Mama Bear and her own mother, their lives were on the line. The shields that Abby put up only hold back so much. Abby's momma almost died. As did Momma Bear. If not for her act of bravery, they all might be gone. Did she have to turn that one guy into a human poem? By golly, no. But we can't change that now."
"I just wish none of this would have happened."
"And you can wish all you want, but wishin ain't gonna fix anything. But, Elmo, what can you do about all of this?
"Nothing. They keep coming. They keep coming and trying to hurt you and my friends and their families. I don't know what to do, dad."
"Oh, come here, son."
I usually enjoy the hugs my parents give me, but this time, not even their hugs could help me.
"Elmo, sugarcane, things will get better."
"Mom? When did you get here?"
"Just at the butt-end of your talk. I just got off the phone with Momma Bear. Apparently, because Abby was with Baby Bear when her alarm went off and she never came back, Baby Bear had a panic attack."
"Is he alright? He get's those pretty bad."
"He's fine, Elmo. Momma Bear is worried about your friends, though. She's getting a bad feeling."
"What?"
"She said that she's thinking about pulling Baby Bear from school for a bit."
"Aw, but what about Telly?"
"Telly will just have to wait to see Baby Bear after school."
"Dammit, this is all my fault."
"Not all of it. It's true that you have done some fairly awful things, but that doesn't mean that all this monster madness is your fault."
"Your father's right, hon."
"But because of them, you guys are in danger. And because of Abby, it's getting worse."
"Her goal is to hunt down the boss. But all these people have managers, so to speak. Said managers have another higher up. Both her and her mom have been trying to track down the source, but nothing. Momma Bear asked them to use their abilities to the fullest. Very dangerous. And Abby is a very strong magic user. She has great power."
"But she can get lost in it if she uses it too much. I know, mom, she told me a long time ago. I don't want that to happen either."
"She might in the long run, son, with how everything is going for her."
"Louie."
"Just spirin words, Sugar Blossom. It can always happen, but like I always say, hope for the best-"
"But expect the worst. Yeah, I know dad, but it doesn't make it any easier. In fact, I feel worse about it."
"Son, she's giving you, giving us, a way out of this whole mess. In the end, it's all up to you. But as she's proven, this isn't just for you. It for your family, your other friends and their family, even for her family. She won't stop now since this is deeper than just you. And they were hardly living up on their end of the deal."
"What so you mean, mom? Did they try something again?"
"You didnt tell him, muffin?"
"No. I was refraining from that. Seems like a must. Elmo, I am not the only one they were trying to hurt. Your father. A couple of days ago, was trying to get to work. He was grabbed and held down by a couple of guys while a third guy held a knife against his face."
"He threatened to decorate it."
"Right. Abby and her mother stepped in to save him. Were they aiming to kill? No, but they can. And in the end, after thsy achieve what they want, who's to say we all aren't on the chopping block. Think about the ladder here, hon."
Hmm? Who's knocking on the-
"Amigo!"
"Rosita? Mom, go answer the door."
"Alright."
Gotta prep myself for-
"Hello, Rosita. What can I-"
"Hola Mrs. Monster. I would love to talk but emergency. Elmo, where is he?"
"He's here."
"What the hell do you want-"
"You're coming with me, señor. You don't get the choice."
Whoa, how the hell is she strong enough to quite literally sweep me off my feet bridal style.
"Put me down, you bitch."
"No."
"Now!"
"Shouting in my ear will only make me angry, puta! And don't squirm!"
What the hell is happen-
"What is that?!"
"It's Abby!"
All I could see was a glowing orb of light above the street, brighter than the sun.
"Oh sweet Momma."
I made myself heavy on in my center so that Rosita would drop me, but I didn't fall completely. I caught the fall, stood up and then slung Rosita over my shoulder.
:Qué?"
"I got longer legs. Come on."