Apology Day

The next day mom let me stay home. And all weekend, I was busy up to my eyeballs.
I hadn't seen any of my friends because I had so many people to contact to set this up. I made sure everyone I could remember being mean to would come today.
Mom drove me to school, but instead of dropping me off, she pulled into the parking lot and picked a spot.
"I'm scared, mom."
"I'm proud of you, Elmo. Don't stop now. Your final wish, your heart's desire, it's almost here."
"Were you and dad there for the whole thing?"
"I saw it on the news first. I got there when she just casted the spell. I'm glad Rosita brought you there."
"Can you come in with me?"
"Of course Sugarcane. I was planning on staying anyways. Now come on."
First period started about ten minutes ago. The principal told me that the assembly will start when I come and check in.
"Wow, the parking lot seems really full today."
"It sure does. I bet that these people are already inside waiting if they are here for the essembly."
"Okay... here we go-"
"There he is!"
"Huh?"
"It's those guys."
"Get behind me, mom."
Those were some of those guys that work for the guy trying to set me up.
Suddenly the men running at us all disappeared into nothing but a breeze.
"What?"
"I have a feeling this is how it will be for a bit. Come along, son."
"Uh, right."
But when will it all stop? And when will Abby come back?
Mom walked ahead of me so when I made it to the door. She was holding it open. Beyond her, I could see the principle waiting for me.
"Hello, sir."
"The essembly will be held at the track behind the school."
"What? Why?"
"The amount of people would be a fire hazard."
"Oh."
"Vice Principle Sanders will escort you there. Mrs. Monster?"
"Yes?"
"Come inside with me and help coach Litheral direct the non-students."
"Alright."
A man that looked kind of like my old friend Grover walked out and mom walked in.
"Come on, kid."
"Yes, sir."
"This isn't the Elmo Monster that's become a regular in my office. I don't even think it's the same Elmo."
"Y-Yeah? Sorry."
"We'll see."
Okay then. Huh, I wonder how Grover's doing. I haven't seen him since his last trip around the world for the show. Maybe he finally settled on a place. Grover always wanted more than Sesame street.
"Right over here. We got your set up center field. We got someone up in the booth for audio and sound. I want you to go to your place so that we can sound check."
"A-Alright."
In the center of the field, it would makes sense that one would feel small. But by yourself? It's all just overwhelming.
"Here. Pack clipped to your back pocket. Mic wrap around your ear and to the front."
"Okay."
"Now flip that switch up here. The box is already ready."
"Alright. Testing... testing, One. Two. Three."
I could hear my voice echo across the field.
"Whoa."
"Your mic is too close to your face. Pull it away a little."
"Okay... testing testing."
"Better. Yo, Clyde. Is it good?"
Who is Clyde? Wait, he's looking up there. Clyde must be the booth guy.
"Okay, we're good. And here comes the first wave of people. Go on and sit down on the benches over there and wait until we start."
"Okay."
He wasn't lying. There was a line of people coming, my mom and the principal leading them. Mom held the gate to the place open while the principle directed people to the far side.
They are probably planning on keeping the citizens separated from the students.
Old classical music started to play through the speakers, and the big screen that played over each side lit up.
They were really hyping this all up. I never realized how much this was like an actual stadium.
Oh, the student body is here. I see Zoey. And she's holding hands with that Gonigan dude. Oh, there's the purple troll thing with wings. He's walking with Rosita. Get it, girl.
I'm glad those two recovered from that whole ordeal.
The music suddenly stopped and I could hear heavy breathing.
"Do it now."
I felt a hand grip my shoulder, the hold forcing me to stand up, and then something cold against my neck. On the screen I saw the Vice Principal behind me. The cold thing was a blade.
"Excellent. The secret is out, Elmo monster."
"Wh-What?"
My mic is still on. So I'm talking to this Clyde person. I bet Clyde isn't his real name. Definitely a man, though.
"I had to do this. I must show my dominance to those who work for me. This is also a warning. Nobody can stop me. Sometimes, you just gotta get in there and do it yourself."
"And yet you are still hiding. Cowering behind others. Pulling strings. I know this guy behind me would never so this unless you found a way to convince him. Now who did you threaten?"
"You talk to me as if this situation is not life or death."
"For me it might be, but all my friends and my parents are protected. The only person you can hurt from this point on is me. So, who'd you threaten, Clyde?"
"Kill him."
"I'm sorry."
"Me too, sir."
The knife that was being pressed against me but then the guy suddenly released the blade and jumped away, cradling his hand.
"Hot blade."
"See, Clyde? You will lose in the end. Either give up now or-"
"You won't live through the beatdown I have in store for you."
Hmm? Abby and Leo are back.
"This is a all from an unknown location Ms. Cadabby."
"I see. Thank you, Leo. I'll cut the feed."
The Vice Principle guy got lifted up off the ground and then they all three disappeared into nothing.
"Well... that was interesting."
"Principle Conner?"
When did he get on the field?
"We'll address it all later. Just continue."
"Well... alright.. Uh, any of the faculty know how to work the panel up there?"
"I do!"
"Coach Vinel. Would you please and we can continue this whole thing?"
"Alright."
And please, let's not let anything else happen.