Sophomore Start

"Elmo, BB's here."
"Ah, morning, BB. What's up?"
"Nothing much. Ready for the first day of school, pal?"
"Yeah, let's go. Later, momma."
"Agt, gimme your phone."
"Right. Here."
"Thank ya, sugarplum. You two have a good day."
"You too, momma. Stay safe."
"I'm gonna try."
"Later, Mrs. Monster."
"Bye, BB."
And off we go.
"Why did your mom take your phone?"
"We don't want what happened last year to happen again. Just a precaution."
"Got it."
"Where's Telly. You two are usually joined at the hip."
"He had an emergency triangle lover's meeting at school."
"Oh. I see."
"Did you hear, Elmo?"
"About what?"
"About Blog asking out Rosita, completely in spanish, by the way."
"I did. I was there. I helped him. Gonigan has been kind of busy lately, or he would have been there too."
"Are Gonigan and Zoey doing alright?"
"Well, Gonigan won't tell her why he's been disappearing or where he's been going. He won't let her on his phone anymore. And I keep telling her that Gonigan doesn't seem to be the cheating type but she's scared and frustrated."
"Ah. And you are still huge. Why haven't you shrank yet?"
"Belinda said that there was only a fifty percent chance I would shrink again. I don't like being this tall, dude. The only person my height is Gonigan."
"Must suck."
"You aren't wrong."
"Hey, guys!"
"Ah, hey, lady, look at you. That is a homemade tutu. Look at all the color."
"Thanks, Elmo. Hey, BB."
"Hey, Zoey. Where's Gonigan."
"Uh... he had something to do in the fairy world."
"That was a sad sigh, bud. Everything alright?"
"Yeah, Pal. Anything we can do to help?"
"Kind of you to offer, BB, but Elmo already tried to talk with him."
"I did. And he said nothing, dude."
"It doesn't matter. Not the focus. First day back to school. Are we walking there?"
"I wanted to, but we don't have to."
"Let's walk. We got time, guys."
"I agree with BB. Let's walk, Elmo."
"Alright, I'm game for anything. Let's get going."
"Say, Zoey?"
"Yeah, BB?"
"Why are you wearing a tutu?"
"I wanted to wear leggings today and my mom said I have go wear a skirt or a long shirt if I wear this. So I made this."
"Wow. It's fabulous."
"Where's your good luck ball cap, BB?"
"My sister threw it away last year."
"Of course she did."
"I didn't get into her head that badly last year, did I?"
"She was already against me. You didn't help, but you also can't fix it."
"I can get you a new hat if ya want one, dude?"
"No, I'm good, Elmo, thanks though."
"Mhmm."
"Did you guys hear about Rosita and Blog?"
"We were talking about that right before you showed up, girl. Elmo helped out."
"You did?"
"Oh yeah. I may not know everything about her, but I knew enough to know the best place to go to ask her out."
"The gazebo at that arboretum down the street. Right, she loves that place."
"Ha, see I still got it."
"I'll give credit where credit is due, Elmo. Good job."
"Thanks, BB."
"Why couldn't you help me."
"Zoey, Gonigan barely likes me. And the barely part took a potential kidnapping situation to get."
"Right. Well, nevermind."
"I would have if I could have. Besides, you two started dating during a stressful situation."
"Don't remind me."
"I'm glad it all finally stopped."
"I wonder who was the problem, guys."
"I was never told. Elmo?"
"Nope. But I did hear a thing about Telly being the next target after me."
"What? Telly as in my Telly."
"Yeah, BB. This person had a lot of people listed. Me, Telly, if BB didn't die from all the suffering, then it would be him, Grover, Chris, Even Big Bird and Snuffy."
"No way."
"Way. The girls, for some reason, weren't on the list. Somewhat creepy. I got to see the list after the cops raided where the person was reported to be at and killed."
"Wow. You know way more about this than I do."
"Duh, Zoe. I was... kind of more involved than you were. Not something to brag about."
"But true."
"We're here. I see Telly. Telly!"
"Honey Pot!"
So adorable. Lucky guys.
"I gotta go and get my syllabus. Come with?"
"Sure. Zoey? Elmo?"
"I got mine in the mail."
"I'll go with. You gonna be alright, Elmo?"
"Yeah. Go on, Zoey."
"Alright."
"We'll be back, pal."
"Yeah, wait right here, buddy."
And there they go. I feel bad for lying. It's just that... Harry Monster and Zoey were pretty close when he lived on this street. BB was pretty close to him too. I don't want their opinions to change of him.
"Elmo."
"Hmm? Gonigan, what's up?"
"Uh, I got something I have to show you. Come on."
"Uh... okay. I just want you to understand something. You hate me, you've been nothing but mean up until recently. Yet I am trusting you. You aren't gonna shank me or something, right?"
"Well... no, but if I was, would I tell you?"
"Touché. Alright, I'm coming."
"It's this project I've been working on. I'm done and I need a second opinion."
"This the project that you've been keeping from Zoey?"
"Yes. This is important. Blog helped me for a bit, but now I need an outside opinion."
"Alright."
I followed him outside and he looked around for a second and then started leading me around to the side of it, next to the gym.
Where there are no windows.
"Uh, I'm about to bail on this, dude. I'm not blind."
"Please, dude."
I heard a slam noise and looked ahead to see Blog fall on the ground.
"Holy moly. Blog, you good, man?"
I rushed over to him and helped him stand up. He cradled his head for a few seconds and thrn looked up at me.
"Elmos, come on. You three are the last things we need."
"See? Blog is back here too. Trust me. I have no mean intentions this time."
"Fine. I do trust Blog. Although you might want to go see a doctor if you're seeing three of me."
"Gracias, amigo. But trolls have really thick skulls. I'm fine now. I only see one."
"If you say so. Alright, let's see this thing you have to show me, Gonigan."
"With pleasure. Follow me."
Hmm.
We walked behind the school and there, with her family, in a bright blue dress, was Abby. A big friendly smile on her face.
"Abby?"
"Hey, Elmo."
"Oh my gosh! Abby!"
I ran at her and wrapped my arms around her.
I couldn't help but cry for a minute as all my memories with her played inside my mind.
"I'm so sorry for everything I did, Abby. I shouldn't have doubted you or what you could do."
At first it was a one way hug, but then, I slowly felt arms wrap around me.
"I'm glad your back, Elmo."
"You remember him, sis?"
"Now I do. I remember everything."
"Wait... what?"
"Well... uh-"
"I can explain it, Belinda."
"Thank you, Gonigan."
"The reason I've been gone a lot recently is because I've been trying to get her ready to come back here. We were struggling, though. He memory was faulty. She could see the faces. She had the memories, but no names, no short term memory. I know you would rather her not remember what happened, but in order to get her to understand how she ended up with the bad memory that had to happen. I really did appreciate you helping me out with that... kidnapping thing. Kind helped motivate me to getting her memory back. We got her up to a point of seeing what happened, but no names. Her doctor recommended her seeing and coming into contact with one of the last people on her mind. Whether good thoughts or bad, you were the last."
"Oh."
"And she said your name because we told her that the first person she would meet is a guy named Elmo."
"Can I bring the rest of our friends, Belinda."
"You bet Blog."
"I'll help you, man. We'll be back, guys."
And off Blog and Gonigan go. Wow, I can't believe Abby is completely back.
"Are you going to be okay to go to school, hon?"
"Yeah, mom."
"Alright. Well, then, come along everyone."
"Bye, sis."
"Bye, Rudy. Behave okay?"
"Okay. I promise."
Rusy hugged his sister. Then he hugged me.
"Thanks, Elmo."
"I'm sorry, Rudy."
"I may have been mad. But that was because I didn't know what happened. Mom and dad didn't tell me until about two months ago. So thank you. And I'm sorry."
"Come along, son. Let's get you to school. Coming Belinda?"
"Yes. I owe both children a hug."
Oh boy.
"I love you, honey. Glad to hear you fully back here on earth. And Elmo, my dear boy. I might have been mad at you, but I'm beyond grateful. Thank you."
"You bet. A world without Abby is a world I don't want to live in."
And there they go. And the others aren't here yet. Okay, keep calm, Elmo.
"S-So... what can I do for you besides give you a classic Elmo apology."
"I don't need it. I heard it when you apologised to the school."
"So. Can we be friends again?"
"Of course, Elmo."
I could feel the tears well up in my eyes again as I hugged her as tight as I could, afraid that I was dreaming.
But then came the memory.
When you gonna hop on that Abby train?
"Actually, Abby, I got a question for you?"