25

Argus Filch, the school's caretaker, shook his head wearing a large frown as he mopped the corridor in front of the Great Hall

Argus Filch, the school's caretaker, shook his head wearing a large frown as he mopped the corridor in front of the Great Hall. Next to him, also mopping, with her head lowered in humiliation as students passed by and sniggered, was Pansy Parkinson bearing the unjust punishment for something she didn't do.

"Little harsh?" Tracey whispered to her friend as the three Slytherins walked by. "Harsh. But well deserved," Theodore said with an apathetic 'hn' at the end. "Hope she learns her lesson," Elowen flashed a sweet smile in Pansy's direction before walking into the Great Hall.

After the Yule Ball catastrophe - All the fighting couples, the intoxicated ill students and the flooded bathrooms – people started pointing fingers and the castle was combed for somebody to blame.

It just so happened that when searching the castle, they found several bottles of Spyrit and the ingredients to make a love potion under Pansy's bed. Which made her look pretty suspicious to Dumbledore and McGonagall. Who would've thought Pansy could do such a thing?
Despite how much she denied it and how much she wailed and cried claiming that she was innocent the Headmaster didn't buy it. Nel had a feeling that Snape knew, but he did nothing about it, instead Pansy was punished. Her detention for the rest of the year having to assist Mr. Filch with his caretaking duties around the castle; everything ranging from mopping floors, cleaning bathrooms, polishing mirrors and even venturing out into the Forbidden Forest at night.

Entering the Great Hall, the three almost ran into Malfoy. He looked pale and had a panicked look on his face. Tracey narrowed her eyes ready for him to spit out a nasty insult but instead he avoided their gazes. He mumbled an uncharacteristic sorry. The tension he carried with him palpable. Without another gesture he side stepped around them and left.

"What-" Theodore looked over his shoulder incredibly confused. "Was that all about?" He asked with an intrigued expression before he turned back to look at his friends.

"What was what?" Nel gave a blank stared that seemed to successfully fool him. However, the way her gaze avoided his eyes and ears turned a little redder did not go amiss to him.

It wasn't the first time he had witnessed the peculiar interaction between the two. Ever since the Yule Ball something had been off. No petty pranks of insults were exchanged between the two. In fact, it seemed like the two went out of their way to avoid each other almost as if they were walking on thin ice.

Even earlier today during transfigurations class the students had been asked to pick out a top hat to practice transfiguring it into a rabbit. Both Slytherins just happened to reach for the same one at the same time as a group crowded by the shelf where all the top hats were neatly stacked.

"You take it," Nel was quick to drop the hat.
"You should take it," Draco insisted raising the hat in her direction.

"Um..." She stammered nervously before reaching for a more ragged and dustier one and returning to her seat leaving the teen standing with the hat in hand.