26

Did Professor Snape actually think she was stupid?

Probably.

Ellar Lestrange had tried to kill her. How- why on Earth would she ever considering being around him ever again?

An unpleasant chill went down her spine at the thought of being around him. She thought of the crazed look on his eyes as he attempted to drown her, his rough grip on her body, his cold lips.

Consider it done Snape.

It wouldn't happen again.

However, the thought of getting even – the need to make him feel just as small as he had made her feel – the thought was more than tempting, but how could she hurt him? As far as she knew it didn't look like Ellar had a weakness. She tried to empathize with him, to think of his intentions and have the benefit of the doubt yet couldn't reach a conclusion.

'Mr. Lupin,

I apologize it has taken so long for me to write to you back. I hope the gloves I sent you fit you well. I'm not the most skilled knitter so I have enchanted them with a charm that should keep your hands warm (it is still a work in progress, so I hope the charm sticks).

Hogwarts has been well Hogwarts. I'm happy to be home. Work has been keeping me busy. I have a lot to make up to from last year and every year I get more and more clients. It can get exhausting, but work is work and I shouldn't complain.

The Yule Ball was fine-'

It wasn't. The Yule Ball was a complete catastrophe. Not just for Nel but for almost every student that attended.

'-I went stag. Found a dress from the 'Come and Go Room.' Did you know Hogwarts has a secret room?

My friends are-'

She looked up from her scribbling to see Daphne and Theodore playing and holding with each other's hands in the middle of the Slytherin table. Both of them completely lost in each other's eyes. Some Durmstrang students glared at them with revulsion at the romantic public display of attention. Nel almost threw up. To think she wanted that to be her and Ellar Lestrange only a couple of weeks ago. Leanne who was sitting next to Tracey in the Slytherin table was showing her the latest photographs she had captured of the Whomping Willow shaking off some snow. Both were also completely absorbed with each other leaving Nel to constantly feel lonely or like a fifth wheel.

When they asked why she had returned to the dormitory with parts of her clothes soaking wet she lied and said it had been a prank by the Weasley twins. When asked who had been the one behind the anonymous flower arrangement, she, again, lied and said the person never showed.

"Was it Ellar?" Daphne had asked leaning over her bed, eyes wide in astonishment.

"No," Nel said dully. "Why would he send me flowers?" She rolled her eyes dramatically. Another lie. None of them questioned it. Specially after the showdown that went on in the Yule Ball.