Chapter 15

Things could have gone pretty badly for the son of Hermes but the situation ended up reminding Percy that sometimes,even if the Fates did have a field day with messing up his life,they were very wise in gifting him with his speed.

Just before the hammer could land,his divine instincts kicked in. The whole world stopped as he took nanoseconds to gasp and flinch backwards.

Then,when his beating heart had slowed down to normal,for him that is ,he took a good look at what exactly had attacked him.

It was a little girl.

Blonde hair and large grey eyes.

The crooked question that had been in his mind since he set off to acquire Riptide suddenly clicked into place.

He had been wondering why that goddess had been so eager for him to go looking for it. He took the piece of paper from his pocket and looked at it one more time.

'Find daughter of Zeus named Thalia Grace. And remember Perseus,what we expect is not what it always is,and mind over matter'

He read it one more time,then looked at the owl that had been drawn at the bottom.

Athena.

Why had it taken him this long to join the dots?

He looked at the little girl again. She had a wild feral look in her eyes,her whole posture determined to bring pain on whoever bothered her,which as it turned out was him.

Her eyes looked exactly like Athena's. Stern,intelligent and had the ability to assess situations at incomprehensible speeds.

This was one powerful demigod he was looking at,if she lived long enough to grow in knowledge.

Athena sent him on this mission so that he could meet her.

Anger surged within him,making his frown deepen. She played him. Sure he got a badass sword,but at what cost?

His right hand was now burning from the poison he had  come into contact with. If he had stayed at the Lotus Hotel,he wouldn't have been worrying right now thinking of an antitoxin.

She made him almost die from freezing,from a bunch of indestructible monsters and now his hand was slowly withering away,just because she wanted him to meet her daughter and somehow provide safety for the little girl?

Percy could think of several ways of handling this situation. He could grab Luke and Thalia and speed away with them,the flick his middle finger at the goddess of wisdom,but looking at the girl he felt his anger crumbling down.

She was determined to survive.

She looked younger than him when he and his brother first set out,and here she was,hungry for who knows how long,weak,cold and still have the strength to swing a hammer.

"You have one hell of a fighter for a daughter Athena" he said. He didn't know of gods,save for Hermes could move at his pace,but he still said it.

He then leaned back,far away from the hammer's curve and slowed himself down.

"MONSTERS!"

Followed by the heavy black metal passing where his face had just been.

Thalia screamed and Like gasped. The little girl stumbled from the lack of making contact.

Before she could fall,Percy gently pulled the hammer from her hands and steadied her. Still,she continued kicking at his foot and thrashing her arms around.

"MONSTERS. LEAVE ME ALONE! I HAVE A HAMMER!" She shrieked.

"Not anymore kid" Percy said,pinning her to the brick wall,not hard enough to hurt her but enough to make her pay attention to him.