Seven Minutes In Heaven (Blue)

Lol. We don't even need a tally. He won by a landslide.

-------

Seconds seemed to have passed half their normal speed as your eyes scanned over the name written hastily in bold letters on the piece of blue cardboard paper pinned in between your fingers.

"Ethan."

You repeated the name in your head as if saying it once was not enough to convince yourself that you got it right. As if you didn't know what belonged to him the moment your eyes found the array of varied colored paper sticks in Judy's hands.

As far as you were concerned, Ethan had been fond of the color - the shade and hue. His zip up hoodie and baseball gear were in the shade of blue. And even the blanket folded neatly at the side of his classroom when you visited him once for a chat was in a cool shade of cobalt.

Only an idiot would get it wrong after spending so much time with him.

And you wouldn't have the right to say you know him well enough if you did.

Once your frayed nerves and blanked out mind have recovered enough to know you weren't imagining what you've read, you raised your head and looked at Judy, finding her grinning a big toothy smile at you as if she already knew from the beginning who you were going to pick.

"You've always had a thing for the strong silent type, (Y/N). But I wouldn't be surprised since Ethan is pretty hot too." she spoke in a naughty and singsongy voice as she moved her gaze from you and towards Ethan who was standing a few feet away from where you stood, her lobbed orange hair swaying from the sudden movement.

For a moment you glued your attention to the rhythm of her locks, too embarrassed to follow her eyes all the way to the subject of your affection and see just what he thinks about what was happening.

You know that although Ethan was unpredictable, he can be a bit awkward. Especially when it comes down to matters of the heart. He would likely play nice so as to not humiliate you in front of everyone. But if he found you staring at him in anticipation, he would most likely feel guilty and end up being the one placed in an uncomfortable situation.

And you don't want him to be in any more unease than what he was already going through because of the fact that you chose him.

"Judy, it's not like that." you spoke in hushed voice as you leaned so close you were practically at her ear, angrily tugging at the hem of her jacket in a vain attempt to stop her from running her mouth further. "You don't have to go that far!"

Sure her boldness was definitely something. And on a normal occasion when the odds were in your favor, you would have definitely loved to have her on your back, talking as if her energy alone can win a competition.

But this time, her playfulness is putting you and Ethan in an awkward place and you wanted it to stop. You just couldn't bring yourself to be as aggressive about it as you ought to be given that there were four other guys inside the room with you.

Unfortunately for you, your less than forceful way of dealing with her was quickly brushed off as she took a step backwards and away from your grip while she wiggled her finger childishly.

"Nuh-uh, we talked about this already... You already picked a paper. So you have to play the game~." She retorted sweetly but with a firmness that told you she wouldn't let you back down. And it made you sigh.

As if noticing the stress that you had been emanating since plucking out the paper stick and the way your shoulders slumped visibly at Judy's response, Ethan decided to save you both by voicing out in a louder than usual but generally nonchalant tone, "There's nothing wrong with you liking me, (Y/N)... Because I like you too." as though what he said was the most expected answer out of the sea of options.