≼ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ≽

𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐓𝐇 is an attribute that gets overlooked on so many occasions by the one person that has so much of it. The most courageous are also the deeply humble and the secretly damaged. One of those morally oblivious people is Addison Chase, she faces things no other should and even then she comes out smiling. Damaged she might be but she doesn't let it interfere with the person she's raised herself to be— at least not entirely.

༺═──────────────═༻

𝐀𝐃𝐃𝐈𝐒𝐎𝐍'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕:

The filter of light draws me to awaken for a new day, a new school year and preferably the last unless my ambitious attitude gets the better of me. Stretching under the duvet a strained but satisfying sound escapes my throat and greets the morning ahead, however, the positive groan turns into a disheartened sigh as I look up at the ceiling. My old room hasn't changed since the day I moved out, being back in here only brings back bad memories and most of them are quite recent.

I blindly grasp for my phone, my hand knocking against an empty mug which tumbles to the carpeted floor before I manage to pick up my phone and check the time. 8:40 am, better get a move on. Kicking off the covers I bend down picking up the cup, setting it back on my bedside table and then quickly slide into some clean clothes. I wear a white tight-fitting singlet top with a light grey/blue long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows, a pair of denim shorts, and finish strong with a pair of white high top converse shoes.

I run my fingers through my hair, more or less untangling it as I face the bathroom mirror where most of my exposed skin is blotched with dark blue and purple bruises. They cover my right shoulder and descend down my side reminding me of my losing battle against the stairs and the strong hand of my father. His alcoholism is a problem for both of us, that's for sure— I'm not his favourite person and that's kind of putting it lightly. I pat makeup over the visible bruising, concealing them as best I can before jogging down the stairs.

The first thing that hits me as I enter the living room is the odour of stale whiskey and old cigarette smoke, I crinkle my nose as the scent pierces my senses and threatens to make my eyes well. My hand rests under my nose helping the walk to the kitchen easier, I grab my keys and walk back past my snoring father, who's slumped back in his chair barely still holding the third empty bottle in his left hand. I wonder if he'll be okay when he wakes... a stupid question. Before I leave I place a glass of water and some aspirin on the table next to him. I shouldn't bother, I shouldn't care— he doesn't— I should be angry and I am it's just... complicated.

༺═──────────────═༻

Pulling up outside campus I park a few rows back and take one last glance at myself in the revision mirror, 'Smile, Addison.' Taking my own advice I smile rather convincingly at my reflection before pulling myself out of my car and pushing the key into the door to lock it. I begin walking towards the school's entrance, my eyes set ahead and focusing on my destination until I hear running footsteps coming up from behind me. Before I have a chance to turn around a body collides with mine, their arms and legs wrapping around my neck and waist. I stumble forward, quickly finding back my footing as a pair of soft lips push hard against the skin on my cheek.

I look over my shoulder, putting the effort into distancing myself from the dull pain of the pressure against my hidden bruises and the sharp twinge in my side, to see my best friend clinging to my back like a monkey. A goofy smile is plastered on her face, her brown hair pulled roughly back into a ponytail and her sweet chocolate eyes sparkling with happiness as she looks down at me. I return the gesture, pulling the corners of my lips upwards as Blair continues to cling to me in a piggyback, her chin resting on my shoulder.